Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA): How to apply
This is the Government of Canada's official website to apply for an eTA to fly to, or transit through, a Canadian airport. It only costs $7 CAD.
What you need to complete the form and pay for your eTA
You will need:
a valid passport from a visa-exempt country
As of April 26, 2022: Lawful permanent residents of the United States are exempt from the eTA requirement. Find out what documents you need to travel to Canada.
- a valid email address, AND
- one of the following acceptable methods of payment to pay the $7 CAD fee (non-refundable):
- Visa®, Mastercard®, American Express®,
- a pre-paid Visa®, Mastercard® or American Express®,
- Visa Debit, or Debit Mastercard,
- UnionPay®, or
- JCB Card®.
Overview of the eTA application process
1. Get your passport, credit or debit card ready, and read the help document.
2. Use the online form to apply. The form cannot be saved. So have your information ready.
3. Pay $7 CAD for your eTA right after you complete the form.
4. Get an email about your eTA application. Most applications are approved within minutes.
5. You may need to submit documents before your application can be approved. If this happens to you, an email will be sent with instructions within 72 hours.
Help with the form or other eTA questions
The eTA application form is only in English and French. To help you apply for an eTA, descriptions of each field in the form are available in the following languages:
Get answers to eTA questions like what happens after you apply and when you may need to apply for an eTA again.
Please take a few moments to rate your experience with the eTA application form.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: