Prepare for arrival — Visit your children or grandchildren

When you arrive in Canada, a border services officer will greet you. The officer works for the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), which protects Canada's borders and points of entry.

The officer will ask to see your passport or travel documents. If you applied for a parent and grandparent super visa, you’ll have other documents, such as a copy of your medical insurance, to give to the officer. Make sure that you have them with you and that they are not packed in your luggage. This will speed up your entry into Canada.

Even if you do not need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visa to enter Canada, the officer will ask you a few questions. The officer will make sure that you meet the requirements to enter Canada.

You won’t be allowed into Canada if you give false or incomplete information. You must show the officer that you’re eligible for entry into Canada. You’ll also have to show the officer that you’ll leave Canada at the end of your approved stay.

If you don’t follow the conditions of your eTA or visa, you’ll be asked to leave Canada. Most people asked to leave Canada have the right to a fair hearing to review the decision.

Changes to impaired driving and cannabis-related crime laws

New penalties for impaired driving and cannabis-related crimes may affect your immigration status in Canada. If you commit one of these crimes, you may not be able to come to or stay in Canada.

Working or going to school in Canada

Most visitors to Canada can’t work or study in Canada without a permit.

If you are visiting Canada, still have legal status in Canada, and you want to work or study, there are a few options.

For a work permit, you can apply:

For a study permit, you can apply:

In some cases, you are allowed to work or study without a permit. For more information, see:

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: