Kitimat Clean Refinery Project: Environmental Assessment Referred to Review Panel
September 9, 2016 — Ottawa — The Honourable Catherine McKenna, Minister of Environment and Climate Change, announced today the referral of the environmental assessment of the proposed Kitimat Clean Refinery Project in British Columbia to an independent review panel.
The decision to refer the environmental assessment of the project to a review panel was made after considering its potential to cause significant adverse environmental effects and concerns expressed by the public and Indigenous groups in relation to these effects.
The Minister has set timelines for the environmental assessment of the project as follows:
- The timeline for the review panel to be established (pre-panel phase) is 90 days (3 months) from the date of the referral of the project.
- The timeline for the review panel to submit its report (panel phase) is 480 days (16 months) from the date of the establishment of the review panel.
- The timeline for the federal Minister's decision statement to be issued (post-panel phase) is 150 days (5 months) from the date of the submission of the review panel's report.
The above timelines do not include the time the proponent, Kitimat Clean Ltd., takes to complete its work or gather information required for the environmental assessment.
The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency is making funding available to assist the public and Indigenous groups in participating in the environmental assessment. Applications received by October 12, 2016 will be considered.
- Kitimat Clean Refinery Project (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- Participant Funding Program (Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency)
- 30 -
Office of the Minister of Environment and Climate Change
Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency
Follow us on Twitter: @CEAA_ACEE
Search for related information by keyword
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: