Vision Care Provider Enrolment Information - Questions and Answers

What changes were made to the vision care provider enrolment process?

Health Canada's NIHB Program is initiating a new, standardized way to enrol all vision care providers across Canada who provide services to NIHB clients. This will ensure that all providers understand and apply NIHB policies, and that Health Canada's relationships with providers are fully in line with Government of Canada policy.

Providers must enrol annually, as is already the case in some regions. This provides an opportunity to keep providers up to date with any changes to policies and procedures, and to make sure that all of their information is current.

When do these changes take effect?

The new enrolment process for vision care providers is now in place. The Vision Care Provider Agreement form is available on the Health Canada website.

Effective May 1, 2015, only vision care providers enrolled through this new process will be able to provide services to NIHB eligible clients and to bill Health Canada.

Why do I have to enrol with the NIHB Program?

NIHB is a publically funded Program. As a result, it operates under a different financial and accountability framework than private insurance plans. Through provider enrolment, Health Canada aims to ensure that the terms and conditions for claim submission are in compliance with Government of Canada policy, and are clear and consistent for providers.

Each vision care provider who bills NIHB must enrol and receive a unique provider number under which they may submit claims through the NIHB Program.

I already have an NIHB vision care provider number. Do I have to complete a new Vision Care Provider Agreement Form?

Yes. All NIHB vision care providers are required to complete the new enrolment process. Your provider number will stay the same.

Are there any changes to NIHB vision care policies or procedures as a result of this new enrolment process?

No. This is an administrative process only. NIHB Program rules are not changing. There will be no changes to NIHB policies, claims adjudication or processing services, and providers will be able to submit claims as usual following the enrolment process.

What do I have to send to the Health Canada Regional Office in order to enrol?

Please return the completed Vision Care Provider Agreement form by mail or fax to the Health Canada regional office, along with evidence of current registration with the regulatory body.

Once your enrolment has been approved, your Health Canada regional office will send you a confirmation.

Any incomplete Vision Care Provider Agreement forms will be returned to providers for completion.

I have not received any documentation for the enrolment process. How can I get the documentation needed to enrol?

For information and documentation for the enrolment process, please contact your respective Health Canada Regional office. The Vision Care Provider Agreement form can be accessed on the Health Canada website.

Please be advised that the Government of Canada is switching from cheques to direct deposit for all government payments. If you are currently receiving payments from Health Canada via cheque, you must enrol for direct deposit before April 1, 2016. Further information and an enrolment form for direct deposit will be sent by mail. If you prefer to receive the enrolment form electronically, please send an email to: Additional information is available at

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: