Medical supplies and equipment benefits
Learn about the benefits for medical supplies and equipment under the Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) Program.
On this page
About medical supplies and equipment benefits
The program covers items that are included on the NIHB medical supplies and equipment benefit list. These items must be:
- prescribed by a health professional, such as a physician
- provided by a supplier who is eligible to deliver the specific medical supplies or equipment
Medical supplies and equipment benefits include:
- pressure garments
- medical supplies, such as:
- medical equipment, such as:
- orthotics and custom footwear
- prosthetics like an artificial leg
- oxygen supplies and equipment
- respiratory supplies and equipment
- audiology benefits, such as hearing aids and their repair
The program provides eligible clients with coverage of benefits not available under other federal, provincial, territorial or private health insurance.
How to access medical supplies and equipment benefits
Most items must be approved in advance by the NIHB regional office before they are distributed by an NIHB provider. You will need to show client identification in order for providers to bill the program directly.
Medical supplies and equipment benefits are covered in accordance with program policies. Benefit coverage details are provided in the Guide for Medical Supplies and Equipment Benefits.
Exceptions are items which are not listed in the NIHB medical supplies and equipment benefit list. These may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The provider guide contains more information on:
- requirements for:
- how to access the benefits
Providers who are enrolled in the program generally send in claims to bill the program directly. This means that you do not have to pay any deductibles or co-payments for your medical supplies or equipment.
Express Scripts Canada administers claims for providers on behalf of the program. Their website contains information on:
- claim submissions
- the provider agreement
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: