About the Impact Canada Initiative
Innovation has the potential to solve the big challenges that we face as Canadians. Outcomes-based approaches represent a new way of opening up the problem-solving process to innovators who can bring fresh perspectives and new ideas.
The ICI promotes the use of a range of innovative approaches, including:
- Challenges – Issuing prizes for whoever can first or most effectively find a solution to a defined problem, and/or making use of structured, open competitions to solicit proposals to fund the best ideas with the potential to solve thematic problems.
- Pay-for-Results – Using customized instruments to shift the focus towards issuing payments based on funding recipients achieving positive and measureable societal outcomes (e.g., social impact bonds, pay-for-success mechanisms).
First Areas of Focus
- Smart Cities Challenge with Infrastructure Canada
Empowering communities to improve the lives of their residents through the use of data and connected technology.
- Clean Tech Impact with Natural Resource Canada
Finding breakthrough technology solutions to support clean growth and the transition to a low carbon economy.
- Responding to Canada's Opioid Crisis with Health Canada and other federal partners
Accelerating action on innovative approaches to harm reduction and treatment, as outlined in Budget 2018.
- Improving Indigenous Outcomes with Indigenous Services Canada
Improving service delivery through the co-creation of new and meaningful partnership models with Indigenous communities and civil society.
How We Do It
- Advisory Services & Knowledge Sharing
Helping departments design high impact initiatives, measure impact, and share "what works"
- impact.canada.ca Challenge Platform
Vehicle to engage new and diverse problem solvers
- Flexible Terms & Conditions for Grants and Contributions
Authority for departments to pursue outcomes-based programming
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: