OUTCAN - Frequently Asked Questions

I am posted outside of Canada (OUTCAN), and I am having problems. How can I get help?

As a Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) member, you have several complaint mechanisms and recourse avenues at your disposal.

As a first step, you should raise issues with your OUTCAN Coordination and Support (URS) (available only on the DWAN) in order to resolve them informally and at the lowest possible level. If unsuccessful, you can escalate your issues with your chain of command. You can also seek recourse through formal channels, notably the submission of a harassment complaint or grievance, depending on the particular circumstances.

For more information, read our Complaint Mechanism and Oversight page. You or another member of your family can also contact our office for assistance.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: