Civilian Employee Performance Management

I am dissatisfied with my Public Service Performance Agreement (PSPA) assessment. What can I do?

We suggest you do at least the first of the following five things:

  1. Talk informally with your supervisor about the assessment. Informal discussions are often the best way to get answers. During this discussion, be sure to:
    • focus on the specifics of your disagreement,
    • listen to your manager’s reasoning in order to understand all aspects of the assessment,
    • explain why you disagree with the assessment, and
    • provide examples of your accomplishments and competencies in order to support your position.
  2. Describe why you disagree with the assessment in the comment section of the PSPA form.
  3. Discuss your PSPA assessment with a second-level manager.
  4. Contact other Department of National Defence sources for assistance such as:
  5. Grieve the evaluation through the grievance process in consultation with your collective agreement or your union representative.

Learn more about the PSPA process by consulting the Directive on Performance Management or the New Directive on Performance Management FAQ ( on the Human Resources-Civilian (HR-CIV) Intranet. You can also ask your manager or human resource officer for more information.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Date modified: