Children’s education outside Canada: Allowances and benefits

Review CAFconnection COVID-19 Updates

Review the Children’s Education Management COVID-19 Updates page for information related to COVID-19.

Have you completed your child’s Educational Screening and received your outside-Canada posting instruction? This information will help you prepare for the next steps.

General information


When you are posted outside Canada, you expect that your dependent child’s education will continue as it would have if you remained in Canada. Sometimes, there can be expenses related to ensuring your child has compatible education. Educational allowances reimburse you for those eligible expenses.

Compatible education is curriculum and services abroad that are compatible to those normally provided without charge in schools in Ontario (or their equivalent in other provinces and territories). The period covered is junior kindergarten to secondary school graduation. Compatible schooling helps ease your child’s return to a provincial or territorial public school system in CanadaFootnote 1 .

Note: Your child must be a dependent no older than 21 years-of-age (or 23 in the case of shelter assistance).


URS Education Clerk

The Education Clerk works at your corresponding gaining Unit Record Support (URS) (available on the Defence Team Intranet) for the duration of your posting outside Canada

Fax: 613-995-1273

Telephone: 613-994-4609




Children’s Education Management Officer (E): +49-(0)2451-717164

Children’s Education School Coordinator (E): +49-(0)2451-717213

Children’s Education Allowances Coordinator (E): +49-(0)2451-717212

Children’s Education Management (CEM) - Ottawa

CEM - Ottawa supports the educational needs of Canadian Armed Forces families in a variety of situations both inside and outside Canada.



Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: