Statistics: Parole, Pardons and Clemency
1. Approximate Number of Offenders Under Federal Custody
Incarcerated - 14,134
(Incarcerated includes offenders serving federal sentences in penitentiaries and in provincial facilities, those housed as inmates in Community Correctional Centres - as distinguished from conditionally released offenders, and those temporarily absent from the institution on some form of temporary absence (Temporary Absence or Work Release).
Conditional Release - 9,189
(Conditional Release includes those federal offenders conditionally released on day parole, full parole and statutory release and those on long term supervision orders including those paroled for deportation and temporary detainees whether detained in a penitentiary or a provincial jail.)
2. Federal Conditional Release Population
- Canada: 9,189
- Atlantic region: 898
- Quebec region: 2,514
- Ontario region: 2,424
- Prairies region: 1,971
- Pacific region: 1,382
- Canada: 9,189
3. Number of Reviews
This number represents both federal level reviews (15,126) and provincial level reviews (647) where the PBC is responsible to hear provincial cases.
Note: A review could be by way of an office review on file or by way of a hearing with the offender.
4. Number of Elder Assisted Hearings Conducted
The number of Elder Assisted Hearings: 405
Note: The purpose of Elder-Assisted Hearings is to create an environment that facilitates a culturally sensitive hearing process for Aboriginal offenders, and for non-Aboriginal offenders who are committed to an Aboriginal way of life.
5. Parole Grant Rate
Federal day parole: 75%
Federal full parole: 37%
6. Number of Appeal Decisions by the Appeals Division of the PBC
Federal cases: 604 decisions were rendered with the initial decision being affirmed in 82% of cases.
Provincial cases: 17 decisions were rendered with the initial decision being affirmed in 88% of cases.
7. Successful Completion Rates for Federal Conditional Release
8. Number of PBC Contacts with VictimsIn 2015-2016: 29,771
9. Number of Victim Statements Presented at HearingsIn 2015-2016: 244 presentations at 171 hearings.
10. Number of Observers at HearingsIn 2015-2016: 4,292
11. Number of Decisions Sent from the Decision RegistryIn 2015-2016: 7,547
12. Number of Pardons GrantedIn 2015-2016: 1,977 pardon decisions rendered, 82% pardons granted and 18% pardons denied.
13. Number of Record Suspensions Ordered
In 2015-2016: 8,953 record suspension rendered, 94% record suspensions ordered and 6% refused.
Note: Since 1970, more than 500,000 Canadians have received pardons and record suspensions. 95 percent of these are still in force, indicating that the vast majority of pardon/record suspension recipients remain crime-free in the community.
14. Number of Royal Prerogative of Mercy Granted*
At the end of 2015, there were 107 clemency cases being processed. In the last five years (between 2011 and 2015), 14 clemency requests have been granted, four have been denied and 121 have been discontinued.
* By calendar year.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: