Chapter 3 - Who is responsible for Record Suspensions?

  You may also access this video on the Parole Board of Canada’s YouTube channel.

Chapter 3 - Who is responsible for Record Suspensions?

♪ (music playing) ♪

The Parole Board of Canada is the official and only federal agency responsible for processing record suspension applications, and for making record suspension decisions.

It does this under the authority of the Criminal Records Act, also known as the CRA.

The board is not affiliated with any third-party service providers.

You can identify the board through the following symbols.

You can apply directly to the board for your record suspension by following the steps in the Application Guide.

Simply mail your completed application, including all supporting documents, and the processing fee.

You do not need a lawyer or representative to apply for a record suspension.

If you need help with your application, you can contact the board's toll-free information line at 1-800-874-2652, or by email at

Information and additional resources are also available on the board's website at

If you choose to use a third-party service provider to prepare your application for you, here are a few things you should know.

Most third-party companies charge a fee for their services over and above the board's processing fee. This can be a few hundred dollars to more than a thousand dollars.

Using a third-party service provider: will not guarantee you a record suspension, will not get your application processed faster by the board, and will not give your application a special status.

Claims that suggest otherwise are false and misleading.

The board treats all applications the same.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: