Step 2 - Get your Court Information

  You may also access this video on the Parole Board of Canada’s YouTube channel.

Step 2 – Get Your Court Information

♪ (music playing) ♪

Now, let's take a closer look at Step 2 in the Application Guide "Getting your Court Information".

In addition to your criminal record, you must also provide Court Information for each of your convictions.

This court information must include information on the date of final payment for any fines, victim surcharges, restitution, and compensation.

Note that if you were ordered to pay restitution to an individual or entity, the court may not be able to confirm payment.

If this is the case for you, call the board at 1-800-874-2652.

The court information must also include the method of trial for each conviction, either summary or indictable.

This is what determines your eligibility for a record suspension, 5 or 10-year waiting period and how your application will be processed.

If you do not provide this information your application will be processed according to the longest waiting period that applies to that specific offence.

To get your court information, you will need to fill in the "Court Information Form".

You can find this form at the back of the Application Guide.

You should have the form in front of you as we go through this step.

Now, let's take a look at the "Court Information Form".

Make sure that you answer all questions and sign and date both sides of the form.

Print your answers using block letters in blue ink only.

Remember to make a photocopy of this form for your own files.

You only need to fill in Sections A and B of this form.

Let's start by looking at Section A: "Personal Information".

Under number 1, "What is your full legal name?", write down your last name, followed by your first name in the spaces provided.

Under number 2 - "Have you ever used another name other than your legal name above?", tick either "yes" or "no".

If you ticked "yes", write all of your previous names in the spaces provided.

Under number 3 - "What is your gender?", tick either "male" or "female".

Under number 4 - "What is your date of birth?", fill in the year, month, and day that you were born in the spaces provided.

Now let's look at Section B: "Contact Information".

Under number 5 - "What is your mailing address?", write down the address of the place where you currently live.

Include the apartment number or house number, street address; city or town; province; postal code; and country.

Under number 6, "What is your telephone number?", write down the telephone number where the board can reach you, including the area code.

The next sections on this and the following page - marked "For Court Use Only" - are for the court to fill in.

Make sure you write your name and date of birth at the top of page 2, under the "Applicant Information" section.

Your name and date of birth must be written on both sides of the form, and must match.

Once you have filled in the Court Information Form, you will need to bring it to the court that heard your case.

If you were sentenced in more than one court, you must contact each court and have them fill in this form.

Give each court a photocopy of your Criminal Record and ask them to fill in the section of the form that says "For Court Use Only".

Make sure that the Court: fills in all information in the "For Court Use Only" section of the form; includes all of your convictions; signs and dates the form; puts their official Court seal or stamp on the form; gives you two copies of all your Court documents so you have an extra copy for yourself, in case you need these in the future.

For example, to visit a foreign country.

It's easier to get a copy now as the record may not be available if a record suspension is ordered.

Once the Court has filled in the information, compare the information from the Court on the Court Information Form with your Criminal Record and check for the following: if the information on the Court Form and Criminal Record do not match, or if the Court has a Record of Conviction that does not appear on your Criminal Record, you must ask the Court for a Proof of Conviction.

See Step 1 of the Application Guide under Proof of Conviction.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: