Step 1 - Get your Criminal Record

You must submit your fingerprints electronically, which ensures more accurate Criminal Record checks and dramatically reduces the amount of time required to complete the check.

You simply have to visit an accredited company or a police service with an electronic submission device to have your fingerprints taken

The technology allowing electronic submission is now widely available in Canada and effective July 1, 2014; your fingerprints must be submitted electronically, using either LiveSca or CardScan technologies.

For inquiries visit the Royal Canadian Mounted Police website or call 613-998-6362

Wait to receive your Criminal Record (Criminal Convictions, Conditional and Absolute Discharges form) or a Certification of No Criminal Record from the RCMP. The Parole Board of Canada (PBC) will accept either one.

If you have convictions outside of Canada, you must also submit information to the PBC on these convictions, along with your Criminal Record.

Once you've received your Criminal Record, check it carefully to make sure all of your convictions are on it. You are responsible to ensure that all of your convictions are submitted to the PBC.

If no, you must get a Proof of Conviction for each conviction missing from your Criminal Record, or for no record. Contact the court that heard your case and/or the Police Service that arrested you to get this.

The Proof of Conviction must include:

  • Date: the date and court where you were sentenced
  • Offence: the offence that resulted in your conviction
  • Sentence: the sentence you received
  • Arresting Police Force

If the Court and/or Police Service do not have a record of your conviction(s), request this in writing, and contact the Parole Board of Canada Toll-free Helpline at 1-800-874-2652 for assistance.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: