Free to be me
Services and information
Request to have your records expunged and find out how you can share your story.
Get information on the final settlement agreement and compensation for eligible class members.
Review the latest news related to the work of the Government of Canada on LGBTQ2 inclusion.
Related Information on LGBTQ2 issues
Rights in Canada
Current rights and evolving legislation with regards to sexual orientation and gender identity and expression.
- Canadian human rights commission
- Rights of LGBTI persons
- Bill C-16: An Act to amend the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Criminal Code
- Bill C-32: An Act related to the repeal of section 159 of the Criminal Code
- Bill C-66: An Act to establish a procedure for expunging certain historically unjust convictions and to make related amendments to other Acts
The Government of Canada is actively promoting and working to ensure respect of LGBTQ2 rights on the international stage.
- The human rights of LGBTI persons
- Canada supports the human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex persons
- Equal Rights Coalition
- Empowering women and girls and gender equality
- Voices at risk: Canada’s guidelines on supporting human rights defenders
- Canada’s National Action Plan on Women, Peace and Security 2017-2022 - Public Safety Canada - Progress report for fiscal year 2017/2018
Health and safety
Tips to ensure LGBTQ2 members’ health and safety at home and abroad.
- Institute of Gender and Health
- Gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender travel
- Travel Advice and Advisories
- Questions and Answers: Gender Identity in Schools
- HIV and Hepatitis C Community Action Fund
- HIV in Canada: Canada’s progress to meet HIV 90-90-90 targets by 2020
- HIV and AIDS
- Federal Initiative to Address HIV/AIDS in Canada
Federal Public Service
If you are a public service employee, there are many resources and programs offered across the federal public service. Additional resources can be found on your departmental intranet, on GCIntranet, GCpedia, GCconnex and on GCcollab.
Facts and figures
- Centre for Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Statistics
- Gender-based Analysis Plus (GBA+)
- Gender and sex variables
- Social isolation of seniors: A focus on LGBTQ seniors in Canada
- Police-reported hate crime, 2016
- Census in Brief: Same-sex couples in Canada in 2016
- Same-sex couples and sexual orientation... by the numbers
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: