Gender-based Analysis Plus (GBA+)
PCO continues to implement the 5-year Action Plan on Gender-based Analysis covering the period from 2016 to 2020, in collaboration with Status of Women Canada (SWC) and Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat (TBS).
As part of PCO’s role as a Secretary to the Cabinet, PCO provides the “challenge function” for departments that are looking to advance policy, legislative and government administration proposals through Memorandum to Cabinet (MC). The challenge function is designed to help departments develop proposals that are high quality, prepared in a timely manner and focused on addressing priority areas identified by the Government.
PCO has taken the following actions on:
- GBA+ training is mandatory for over one third of positions at PCO, including for all executives (EX 01- EX 05). Establishing the training as mandatory ensures that decisions makers at all levels are equipped to take GBA+ into account in departmental decision making.
- PCO analysts have integrated GBA+ elements into their challenge function role with departments. The challenge function now better includes determining how GBA+ impacts policy, legislative and program initiatives and how GBA+ considerations can be brought to bear on development of policy and programming.
- PCO has implemented a policy considerations checklist as a mandatory component of the MC development process, with a view to assessing the extent to which GBA+ is used to inform a particular MC proposal
- PCO has more fully integrated GBA+ considerations to its work by bringing together quality, objective policy advice and information to support the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- As part of the Action Plan, PCO reports to Parliament regarding the completion rates of GBA+ training and on other elements of GBA+ at PCO and in the Cabinet process
- As committed to in the Action Plan, senior officials in PCO meet semi-annually with senior officials in SWC and TBS, to review process and lessons learned on GBA+.
GBA+ knowledge and practice is a vital part of the work performed by analysts, legal specialist and executives across the department. PCO maintains a list of identified positions that perform policy analysis and policy recommendations.
Training is required for 247 positions and recommended for all employees.
As part of the Status of Women Canada (SWC), TBS and PCO Action Plan (2016-2020), PCO has committed to:
- Develop and implement a framework to monitor progress on GBA+ capacity and implementation across the Government
- Report regularly on GBA+;
- Play a proactive role to ensure GBA+ consideration in Cabinet submissions;
- Support Status of Women Canada (SWC) in identifying departments and agencies performing well (or poorly) on GBA+; and
- Work with SWC to identify examples where GBA+ has impacted outcomes of policies, programs and legislation.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: