Consultation on Dual-Use in Life Science Research - Closed consultation
Current Status: Closed
This consultation ran from June 29, 2018 to November 29, 2018
The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) and Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) had initiated this public consultation to collect feedback and comments on the draft for the new Canadian Biosafety Guideline: Dual-Use in Life Science Research.
Who is the focus of this consultation
This consultation is intended for:
- Researchers in life sciences
- Biosafety professionals
- Biosecurity professionals
- Licence holders and applicants for a Pathogen and Toxin Licence
- Individuals who have imported an animal pathogen under an animal pathogen import
- Members of the public with an interest in the subject matter
Goals of the consultation
The Guideline is intended to increase awareness on dual-use and promote the responsible conduct of research amongst the scientific and biosafety community. It was developed by the PHAC and the CFIA, in consultation with subject matter experts. Given that the concept of dual-use in life science research is relatively new, the PHAC and the CFIA are striving to achieve clarity and usability of the Guideline. Feedback will be used to improve upon the Guideline so that it enables users to identify, assess, and mitigate the risks associated with research with dual-use potential. Questions to be considered when reviewing and providing feedback and comments on the Guideline:
- Is the concept and definition of dual-use clear? How could this be improved?
- Are the roles and responsibilities with respect to the identification, assessment, and mitigation of risks clear? How could this be improved?
- Is the material presented in a logical manner and does it aid in learning and understanding? How could this be improved?
- Is there any material that should be added and/or removed?
Related information (optional)
- Human Pathogens and Toxins Act and Regulations
- Canadian Biosafety Standard 2nd Edition
- Canadian Biosafety Handbook 2nd Edition
Public Health Agency of Canada
100 Colonnade Road
Ottawa, ON K1A 0K9
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: