Frequently Asked Questions


Q. How do I request hard copies of Public Health Agency of Canada or Health Canada publications, and where do I order Health Canada publications that are not available Online?

A. To order printed copies of Public Health Agency of Canada or Health Canada publications, please send your requests to

To ensure 2-4 weeks delivery, provide your first and last name, full Canadian mailing address including postal code and a telephone number where you can be reached during the day. The title of the publications and the quantities.

To order using the telephone within Canada, call our toll free number 1-866-225-0709 (TTY: 1 800 267-1245) and ask for Publications. For calls outside Canada, please call our public inquiries line at (613) 957-2991 and ask for Publications.

Health Cards

Q. How do I apply for a health card or replace my present health card? Who do I contact for a change of address for my provincial health care?

A. Health cards are a provincial and territorial responsibility. Please contact the health ministry of your province or territory for more information. Health Canada Online has links to these health ministries. For additional information on Canadian health care insurance, please consult our frequently asked questions on this subject.

Immunization Records

Q: How do I obtain a copy of my immunization records?

A. The provinces and territories are responsible for planning, funding, and delivering immunization programs.

For more information about immunization records, please contact your provincial/territorial Ministry of Health. A comprehensive listing of provincial and territorial websites can be found at the following link: Provincial/Territorial Role in Health

Healthy Travel

Q. I am travelling out of the country. How should I prepare for my trip?

A. Contact a doctor, nurse or health care provider, or visit a travel health clinic, preferably six weeks before you travel. One way to find a health care site is through the Public Health Agency's list of designated Yellow Fever Vaccination Centres. These health care sites may also provide additional travel health services.

For more information on staying healthy while travelling, including travel health notices and country-specific health recommendations, please visit the Travel Health section of our website.

Employment within the Federal Government

Q. How can I apply for jobs within the federal government? Can I send the Public Health Agency of Canada my resume?

A. Unfortunately, we do not keep resumes on file that we receive through general inquiries. For employment opportunities within the federal government, please visit the Government of Canada's Jobs Web site at: Careers in the federal public service

Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP)

Q. How do I apply for the Federal Student Work Experience Program?

A. FSWEP is the primary vehicle through which federal departments and agencies recruit students for some 7,000 temporary student jobs each year. FSWEP gives full-time secondary school, CEGEP, college, technical institute and university students:

  • fair and equal access to student jobs offered by the Public Service of Canada
  • opportunities to learn about the federal government and gain valuable experience while developing and improving their employability skills

Internationally trained doctors seeking employment in Canada

Q. How can I get a job in Canada?

A. You can contact the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC). CICIC collects, organizes, and distributes information, and acts as a national clearing house and referral service to support the recognition and portability of Canadian and international educational and occupational qualifications.

CICIC was established after Canada ratified the UNESCO Convention on the Recognition of Studies, Diplomas and Degrees concerning Higher Education in the States belonging to the Europe Region, in 1990, to assist Canada in carrying out its obligations under the terms of this convention. The convention promotes international mobility by advocating wider recognition of higher education and professional qualifications.

You should also contact the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. The College is the voice of specialty care in Canada. It ensures that the training and evaluation of medical and surgical specialists in 60 specialties and two special programs attain the highest standards.

International Students seeking employment in Canada

Q. How can I get a job in Canada?

A. The worlds largest student organisation, AIESEC is a global network of 50,000 members across more than 83 countries and territories at more than 800 universities world-wide. AIESEC facilitates international exchange of thousands of students and recent graduates each year.

International Students with technical expertise seeking employment in Canada

Q. How can I get a job in Canada?

A. The International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience (IAESTE) provides work experience abroad for skill enhancement. It also provides support with practical arrangements i.e. work permits / visa, accommodation and travel.

Medical Advice

Q. I have a personal medical problem and am seeking advice. Are you able to provide me with such advice?

A. The Public Health Agency of Canada is not engaged in rendering medical advice. If you have a medical problem, question or concern, please contact a qualified health professional.

Telephone Directory (Government Electronic Directory Services)

Q. I am looking for a Federal Government employee. Where can I obtain their contact information?

A. You can search for any employee within the Federal Government by visiting the Government Electronic Directory Services (GEDS). It lists the names, titles, telephone numbers, fax numbers and mailing addresses of departmental employees.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: