Fully vaccinated travellers entering Canada during COVID-19
Organization: Public Health Agency of Canada
Date published: 2021-07-14
Upcoming border changes
Fully vaccinated foreign nationals may be allowed to enter Canada for discretionary travel on the following dates if they meet specific criteria:
- Effective August 9: American citizens and permanent residents of the United States, who currently reside in the United States, who meet specific criteria to qualify as fully vaccinated
- September 7 (intended start date): All other foreign nationals who qualify as fully vaccinated
The 3-night hotel stopover requirement will be eliminated for all travellers arriving by air after 12:01 A.M. EDT on August 9.
- Check that you are eligible to enter Canada
- Check that you meet the requirements of fully vaccinated. This means you have:
- received the full series of a vaccine or a combination of vaccines accepted by the Government of Canada (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Janssen); and
- received your last dose at least 14 days prior to entry.
- Plan your quarantine, in case you don't get the exemption. Prepare in advance for arrival testing at your planned point of entry.
- Within 72 hours before your arrival to Canada:
What you need to enter into ArriveCAN
- Contact & travel information
- 14-day travel history
- Quarantine plan
- Confirmation of a negative pre-entry test (or positive test taken 14-90 days prior to travel)
- Proof of vaccination (must be in English or French, or a certified translation)
- COVID-19 symptom self-assessment
At the border
- Provide all required information and documents, including:
- ArriveCAN receipt
- pre-entry test results
- proof of vaccination (paper or digital files)
- other travel documents
- Answer all eligibility, vaccination and health screening questions.
- Complete your arrival test on site or collect one to use later.
- If you have symptoms or do not meet the exemption requirements, follow the instructions provided by the government representative.
- If you meet all the entry requirements and are fully vaccinated, you are exempt from:
- government-authorized hotel (air travellers)
- day 8 test
- If you received a home test kit on arrival, complete and send it to the lab.
- If your arrival test is positive, you must follow the instructions of your local public health authority, including quarantine or isolation.
- Keep your proof of vaccination for 14 days.
- You must still follow local public health measures.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: