COVID-19 resources for parents and children
Children, just like adults, have an important role to play in preventing the spread of COVID-19. It can be difficult for some to understand why they have to stay home or can't see loved ones and friends. Use the following resources to help your child understand what's going on and how they can help.
On this page
Activities for children
This video shows your child how they can become a hand washing hero.
Colouring pages that show what children can do to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
This video shows your child how to stop the spread of germs when coughing or sneezing.
Information for parents
There are resources available to provide parents with advice on:
- parenting during COVID-19, including 6 tips from UNICEF
- simplified explanations about COVID-19
- how to care for a child with COVID-19 at home
- pregnancy, childbirth and caring for newborns during COVID-19
- vaccines and immunization
- routine vaccines and COVID-19 from UNICEF
Use fun online activities, crafts and experiments with your kids to support home learning about:
Your child's mental health
COVID-19 can be difficult for children to understand, especially if they know someone who is sick. Pay close attention to how your children are feeling.
You can positively support your child's mental health by:
- correcting misinformation that they may have heard
- limiting how often they watch or hear the news, if appropriate
- creating a flexible but consistent daily routine with your child's input
- listening to your child's concerns, then acknowledging and validating their thoughts and feelings
- explaining health and safety measures and reassuring your child that they're in place to keep us safe
- helping your child stay virtually connected with their friends, neighbours and extended family members through:
- phone calls
- video chats
- social media platforms
Additionally, you may refer to UNICEF's tips for parents on supporting your children though the COVID-19 pandemic.
Your child may benefit from resources tailored specifically to them, such as those from:
- Kids Help Phone
- COVID-19 resources for youth and students
- Canada Youth Network
- COVID-19 youth mental health resource hub
- education, tools, support and reliable information to support youth through the unique mental health situations they're faced with as a result of COVID-19
- the hub is a collaboration of Jack.org, School Mental Health Ontario and Kids Help Phone
- School Mental Health Ontario's activities for children that connect to mental health
- UNICEF's list of ways teens can protect their mental health during COVID-19
Support for parents
You're not alone. Ask for help if you feel overwhelmed.
You and your children may feel stressed, confused, scared or angry during this time. Know that you can reach out for additional support, including someone to talk to about your feelings and concerns. Resources for parents include:
- Wellness Together Canada: Mental health and substance use support
- Families Canada: Family support centres
- Crisis Services Canada: Resources and supports
- Hope for Wellness Helpline
- mental health counselling and crisis intervention for Indigenous peoples across Canada
- Provincial and territorial resources for COVID-19
- Finance Canada: Support for individuals and families
- Canadian Paediatric Society: Community-based supports for parents
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: