COVID-19: Host an engagement session on vaccines and public health measures in your community
Help get the word out about the importance of getting vaccinated. Host a virtual engagement session on COVID-19 vaccines and public health measures for your community.
By leading this event, you’re helping to build vaccine confidence within your community. Share the facts to help people make an informed decision about COVID-19 vaccination and public health measures.
You can use this step-by-step guide to help you host a successful event.
Step 1: Plan your event
The first step is to determine the kind of event you want to host:
To help you organize your event details, refer to our:
Think about your goals, networks and resources when planning your engagement session. You may want to explore the possibility of working with health experts, partners or groups.
Think about how you might use digital tools and technologies to extend the impact of your event.
Consider how you might make your event as inclusive and accessible as possible.
Date and time
Select a date and time that will work for you and your intended audience. Think about how much time you’ll need to prepare for and promote your event.
Choose a virtual event platform that you and your participants are most familiar with.
Begin to develop the agenda for your event.
To help you decide the format of your session consult our sample engagement session agenda.
Set up registration
You may want to ask people to register for your event ahead of time. This can be as simple as:
- asking people to email you in advance
- using an event management website
- using a videoconferencing platform to help with event registration
Step 2: Promote your event
Once you’ve decided on your planning details, you’re ready to spread the word, invite participants and promote it to your community.
Turnout at an event is often directly related to how people were invited.
To help you with your invitation, refer to our template and checklist for registration and invitation emails.
You may want to promote your event to a small group of people or widely. Consider one or more of the following options:
- social media
- posters and flyers
Step 3: Develop a discussion plan for your event
In advance of your engagement session, plan and review your presentation and discussion points on COVID-19 vaccines and public health measures. In developing your discussion plan, consider the following.
- Identify topics you can cover in your discussion.
- Check out the sample event agenda that you can use or adapt based on your needs.
- You may also invite participants to submit questions ahead of time.
- Determine how much time you’ll need for activities like welcoming participants, reviewing housekeeping items and providing background information.
- Check out our sample for opening and closing remarks.
- Research trustworthy information on COVID-19 vaccines and public health measures to create your presentations and discussion points, using resources like the following:
- Make your event as inclusive and accessible as possible.
- Include activities and various ways participants can ask questions that will increase interactivity and engagement.
- Make a list of any supplies you’ll need.
- Plan how you’ll conclude your event and capture the results of your event.
Step 4: Set up your event
Allow yourself time to prepare in advance. Consider:
- preparing to use the videoconference platform for the discussion
- performing a sound and video test ahead of the event
- ensuring you have a contact for technical issues, if required
- sending a copy of the presentation and instructions on how to ask questions ahead of the event
Step 5: Host your event
Ensure your attendees have a meaningful experience that gives everyone the opportunity to participate.
Step 6: After your event
After the event, it’s important to provide participants with opportunities to continue the discussion by:
- sending a follow-up email or message
- feel free to use our template and checklist for thank you emails
- sharing information, resources and tools about how they can stay informed after the event
- encouraging participants to share feedback about the event
If you choose, you can send the Public Health Agency of Canada the questions that were asked during the session, including those unanswered. This will help inform Government of Canada communications and online content.
To assist you in wrapping up your engagement session, follow our thank you email checklist with template and survey link.
Step 7: Spread the word
Promote your engagement session after it’s been held to highlight the work you’re doing in your community.
Use your social media channels to encourage community members to get informed about the COVID-19 vaccines. Remember to share images and information on COVID-19 vaccines and public health measures.
For more information
If you can’t find what you need for your event in the resources provided, contact us at:
- 1-833-784-4397 (toll-free in Canada only)
- 1-800-465-7735 for (teletypewriter [TTY])
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: