For travellers without symptoms of COVID-19 returning to Canada
You may have come in contact with the virus that causes COVID-19
The Government of Canada has put in place emergency measures to slow the introduction and spread of COVID-19 in Canada. You MUST quarantine for 14 days and monitor yourself for symptoms subject to the Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Mandatory Isolation) No. 2.
Your compliance with this Order is subject to monitoring, verification and enforcement. Those in violation may face detention in a quarantine facility as well as fines and/or imprisonment.
You must quarantine without delay
- Go directly to your place of quarantine without delay and stay there for 14 days from the date you arrived in Canada, or longer if you develop signs and symptoms of COVID-19, or have been exposed to another person subject to the Order who has signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
- Do not quarantine in a place where you have contact with vulnerable individuals, including those who have an underlying medical condition, compromised immune system from a medical condition or treatment, or are 65 years of age or older.
- Ensure you have a suitable place of quarantine that has the necessities of life.
- Ensure you wear an appropriate mask or face covering, especially while in transit.
- Practise physical distancing at all times.
- Use private transportation such as a private vehicle if possible.
- Do not make any unnecessary stops on your way to your place of quarantine.
- Avoid contact with others while in transit:
- Remain in the vehicle as much as possible;
- Avoid staying at a hotel;
- If you need gas, pay at the pump;
- If you need food, use a drive through;
- If you need to use a rest area, put on your mask and be mindful of physical distancing and good hygiene practices.
You must monitor your health for 14 days
- Difficulty Breathing
If you start having symptoms of COVID-19 (cough, shortness of breath, or fever equal to or greater than 38°C, or signs of fever e.g. shivering, flushed skin, excessive sweating):
- Isolate yourself from others.
- Immediately call the public health authority and describe your symptoms and travel history, and follow their instructions.
While in quarantine
It is important that you:
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Cover your mouth and nose with your arm when coughing or sneezing.
- Limit contact with others within the place of quarantine, including children and those who have not travelled nor been exposed to the virus.
- Stay at your place of quarantine.
- Not leave your place of quarantine unless it is to seek medical attention.
- Not use public transportation (e.g. buses, taxis).
- Not have visitors.
- Not go to school, work or any other public areas.
- Arrange for the necessities of life (e.g. food, medications, cleaning supplies) to be delivered to your place of quarantine.
Follow the instructions provided and online: Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): How to self-isolate at home when you may have been exposed and have no symptoms
Public Health Authorities
|Provinces and Territories||Telephone number||Website|
|Prince Edward Island||811||www.princeedwardisland.ca/covid19|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||811 or 1-888-709-2929||www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19|
For more information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: