For travellers without symptoms of COVID-19 returning to Canada by air
Organization: Public Health Agency of Canada
Date published: 2021-05-31
Mandatory quarantine requirements for travellers without COVID-19 symptoms arriving in Canada by air.
You may have come in contact with the virus that causes COVID-19. The Government of Canada has put in place emergency measures under the Quarantine Act to slow the introduction and spread of COVID-19 and variants in Canada. Symptoms can take up to 14 days to develop. To help keep others safe, you are required to meet the measures under the Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations).
- Quarantine for at least 14 days.
- Go directly from the airport to your pre-booked government-authorized accommodation (hotel).
- You can use your private vehicle when it is parked in the airport parking lot and is within walking distance, or a designated shuttle for government-authorized hotel
- Remain in your hotel room until you receive your arrival test result. If you receive a positive test result, wait for instructions from a quarantine officer.
- After you receive a negative test result, go directly to your suitable place of quarantine without delay. Your quarantine will only end after the 14th day if you receive a negative test result from your day-8 test, or after the expiry of another 14-day period.
Take 2 COVID-19 tests
- Take 2 COVID-19 molecular tests in Canada as directed under the authority of a quarantine officer:
- a test upon arrival (day 1) and a test on day 8 unless you have evidence of a positive COVID-19 test taken 14 to 90 days prior to arrival to Canada
- Keep a copy of all your travel-related COVID-19 molecular test results until the end of your quarantine.
- Provide your test results to the Government of Canada or government of the province or territory, or to the local public health authority during your quarantine period upon request.
Report and monitor
- Report within 48 hours your arrival at your government-authorized accommodation (hotel), and again when you arrive at your place of quarantine in ArriveCAN (if you used ArriveCAN before you entered Canada) or 1-833-641-0343 (if you did not use or cannot use ArriveCAN).
- Report daily on your health status relating to signs and symptoms of COVID-19 in ArriveCAN or 1-833-641-0343.
- Monitor your health during your time in quarantine.
Public health measures to follow while in transit to your suitable place of quarantine
- Wear a well-constructed, well-fitting mask while in transit, unless you are alone in a private vehicle or travelling only with the same people you entered Canada with.
- Sanitize your hands frequently.
- Remain in the vehicle as much as possible: pay at the pump for gas and use drive through if you need to stop for food.
- Avoid stops and contact with others.
Warning: Your compliance with this Order is subject to monitoring, verification and enforcement. If you do not comply you may be transferred to a quarantine facility, face fines, tickets, and/or imprisonment.
A government representative will be calling you from 1-888-336-7735 and may also visit you to verify that you are complying with the quarantine measures.
- New or worsening cough
- Shortness of breath/difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches, fatigue, weakness, or feeling very unwell
- New loss of smell or taste
- Feeling feverish, chills, or temperature equal to or over 38°c
- Skin changes or rashes (in children)
- Gastrointestinal symptoms like abdominal pain, diarrhea, or vomiting
If you start having symptoms or receive a positive COVID-19 molecular test, isolate yourself from others immediately for an additional period of 14 days, and follow the instructions of the local public health authority (see below). The isolation period starts on the date of your test result, or the day you started showing symptoms.
Actions in quarantine
- Avoid contact with others who did not travel with you and sleep in a separate bedroom.
- Access the necessities of life (e.g. water, food, medication, and heat) without leaving quarantine.
- Food, groceries, or other necessities should be left at your door for contactless delivery.
- Practise physical distancing of 2 metres at all times.
- Only go outside on a private balcony or yard with those who travelled with you.
- Follow guidelines from local public health. If there is a conflict between public health and this handout, follow the strictest measure.
- Respond to calls or visits from screening officers or law enforcement.
- Do not use shared spaces such as lobbies, courtyards, restaurants, gyms or pools.
- Do not have any visits from family, friends, or other guests.
- Do not leave your place of quarantine except for essential medical service or treatment, to obtain a COVID-19 molecular test, or as pre-authorized by a quarantine officer.
Public health authorities
|Provinces and Territories||Telephone number||Website|
|Prince Edward Island||811||www.princeedwardisland.ca/covid19|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||811 or 1-888-709-2929||www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19|
For more information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: