For travellers without symptoms of COVID-19 returning to Canada
Please select a language:
- العربية (Arabic)
- 中文 (简体) (Simplified Chinese)
- Paskwāwinīmowin (Cree)
- Dënesųłiné (Dene)
- فارسی (Farsi)
- Deutsch (German)
- हिंदी (Hindi)
- ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ (ᓄᓇᕕᒃ) (Inuktitut (Nunavik))
- Italiano (Italian)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- Mikmaq (Mi'kmaq)
- Ojibwe Eastern
- Ojibwe Western
- ᐊᓂᐦᔑᓂᓃᒧᐏᐣ (Oji-Cree)
- Português (Portuguese)
- ਪੰਜਾਬੀ (Punjabi)
- Español (Spanish)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- українська (Ukrainian)
Organization: Public Health Agency of Canada
Date published: 2020-09-01
You may have come into contact with the virus that causes COVID-19
The Government of Canada has put in place emergency measures to slow the introduction and spread of COVID-19 in Canada. You MUST quarantine for 14 days, provide contact information and monitor yourself for symptoms subject to the Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Mandatory Isolation) No. 4.
Your compliance with this Order is subject to verification and enforcement. Those in violation may face transfer to a quarantine facility as well as fines and/or imprisonment.
- Ensure you have a suitable place of quarantine that has the necessities of life.
- Go directly to your place of quarantine without delay and stay there for 14 days from the date you arrived in Canada.
- You must wear a suitable mask or face covering while in transit.
- Practise physical distancing at all times.
- Use private transportation such as a private vehicle to reach your place of quarantine, if possible.
- Avoid contact with others while in transit:
- Remain in the vehicle as much as possible;
- If you need gas, pay at the pump;
- If you need food, use a drive through;
- If you need to use a rest area, put on your mask and be mindful of physical distancing and good hygiene practices.
Some provinces and territories have additional travel restrictions
(For example, no non-essential travel into the province, limited access to certain regions within the province, etc.).
Please refer to the list of provincial and territorial websites for more information.
Note that you may also be contacted by provincial/territorial authorities throughout your 14-day quarantine. If federal and provincial/territorial guidelines differ, you should follow the most precautionary and stringent requirements.
You must monitor your health for 14 days
- Difficulty Breathing
If you start experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 (cough, shortness of breath, a fever equal to or greater than 38°C, or signs of fever e.g. shivering, flushed skin, or excessive sweating):
- Isolate yourself from others.
- Contact your local public health authority and follow their instructions.
The 14-day period starts again if, during your quarantine period, you develop any signs and symptoms of COVID-19, including those noted above, or if you are exposed to another person subject to this Order who exhibits signs and symptoms or tests positive for COVID-19.
Please refer to the Symptoms of COVID-19 for additional symptoms common to COVID-19 or information on risk factors for increased exposure and severe outcomes from COVID-19.
To help reduce the spread of COVID-19
- Go directly to your place of quarantine, and avoid making any stops while in transit.
- Check-in within 48 hours of arrival through the ArriveCAN app or call 1-833-641-0343.
- Report your symptoms through the ArriveCAN app or call 1-833-641-0343 every day until the end of your 14-day quarantine.
What you can and cannot do during your 14-day quarantine
Prohibited during quarantine:
- You may not leave your place of quarantine unless it is to seek medical assistance.
- You may not have any guests even if you are outside and stay two metres apart from them.
Permitted during quarantine:
- You may use shared spaces, or private outdoor spaces in your place of quarantine provided you:
- Avoid contact with others who did not travel with you;
- Disinfect spaces after use;
- Wear a suitable non-medical mask or face covering if a distance of 2 metres from others residing in your place of quarantine cannot be maintained.
Recommended during quarantine:
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Cover your mouth and nose with your arm when you cough or sneeze.
You will be called from 1-888-336-7735 to verify your compliance during your 14-day quarantine.
Public Health Authorities
|Provinces and Territories||Telephone number||Website|
|Prince Edward Island||811||www.princeedwardisland.ca/covid19|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||811 or 1-888-709-2929||www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19|
For more information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: