For unvaccinated travellers without symptoms of COVID-19 arriving in Canada by land, air or water
Organization: Public Health Agency of Canada
Date published: 2021-08-13
Mandatory quarantine requirements for unvaccinated travellers without COVID-19 symptoms arriving in Canada by land, air or water.
The Government of Canada has put in place emergency measures under the Quarantine Act to slow the introduction and spread of COVID-19 and variants in Canada. Symptoms can take up to 14 days to develop and the virus can be transmitted to others. To help keep others safe, you must meet the requirements under the Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations).
- Go directly to your suitable place and quarantine for at least 14 days or as directed by a screening officer or quarantine officer.
- Your quarantine will end after the 14th day only if you do not have symptoms and you do not receive a positive test result from required tests.
- If you receive a positive test result from required testing, isolate yourself for an additional 10 days and follow the instructions provided below.
- Arriving by water: Your quarantine will end after the 14th day only if you do not have symptoms.
Take COVID-19 tests as directed
- Take COVID-19 molecular tests as instructed (see separate handout for instructions), unless you have evidence of a positive COVID-19 test taken 14 to 180 days prior to arrival in Canada.
- Keep a copy of your travel-related COVID-19 molecular test results until the end of your quarantine.
- Provide your test results to the Government of Canada or government of the province or territory, or to the local public health authority during your quarantine period upon request.
- Arriving by water: You are not subject to the on arrival and day-8 COVID-19 molecular tests.
Report and monitor
- Report your arrival at your place of quarantine within 48 hours in ArriveCAN (if you used ArriveCAN before you entered Canada) or 1-833-641-0343 (if you did not use or cannot use ArriveCAN).
- Report daily on your health status relating to signs and symptoms of COVID-19 in ArriveCAN or 1-833-641-0343.
- Monitor your health during your time in quarantine.
Public health measures to follow while in transit to your suitable place of quarantine
- You can use public transportation (e.g., aircraft, bus, train, subway, taxi or ride-sharing service) to get to your place of quarantine. However, practise physical distancing of at least 2 metres whenever possible.
- Wear a well-constructed, well-fitting mask while in transit, unless you are alone in a private vehicle or travelling only with the same people you entered Canada with.
- Avoid contact with others and sanitize your hands frequently.
- If driving, avoid stops and remain in the vehicle as much as possible: pay at the pump for gas and use a drive through if you need to stop for food.
Warning: Your compliance with this Order is subject to monitoring, verification and enforcement. If you do not comply you may be transferred to a quarantine facility, face fines, tickets, and/or imprisonment.
A government representative will be calling you from 1-888-336-7735 and may visit you to verify you are complying with the quarantine measures.
- New or worsening cough
- Shortness of breath/difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches, fatigue, weakness
- Feeling very unwell
- New loss of smell or taste
- Feeling feverish, chills, or temperature equal to or over 38°c
- Skin changes or rashes (in children)
- Gastrointestinal symptoms like abdominal pain, diarrhea, or vomiting
If you start having symptoms, receive a positive COVID-19 molecular test, or are exposed to someone with a positive result, isolate yourself from others immediately for an additional period of 10 days and follow the instructions of the local public health authority (see below). The isolation period starts on the earliest of:
- the date you developed symptoms or
- the date you completed the COVID test, if the date is validated by the test provider or
- the date of the test result
While in quarantine
- Avoid contact with others who did not travel with you and sleep in a separate bedroom.
- Access the necessities of life (e.g., water, food, medication, and heat) without leaving quarantine.
- Food, groceries, or other necessities should be left at your door for contactless delivery.
- Practise physical distancing of 2 metres at all times.
- Only go outside on a private balcony or yard with those who travelled with you.
- Follow guidelines from local public health. If there is a conflict between public health and this handout, follow the strictest measure.
- Respond to calls or visits from screening officers or law enforcement.
- Do not use shared spaces such as lobbies, courtyards, restaurants, gyms or pools.
- Do not have any visits from family, friends or other guests.
- Do not leave your place of quarantine except for an essential medical service or treatment, to obtain a COVID-19 molecular test, or as pre-authorized by a quarantine officer.
Public health authorities
|Provinces and Territories||Telephone number||Website|
|Prince Edward Island||811||www.princeedwardisland.ca/covid19|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||811 or 1-888-709-2929||www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19|
For more information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: