COVID-19: How to make your mask fit properly
Organization: Public Health Agency of Canada
The way your mask fits can help prevent you and others from being exposed to COVID-19.
Choose a mask made of multiple layers, including at least 2 layers of tightly woven fabric and a third middle layer of filter-type fabric.
Before touching your mask, wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water aren't available, use a hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol.
- Make sure your mask completely covers your nose, mouth and chin.
- Check for gaps between your face and your mask.
- Check the top, sides and bottom of your mask.
- Check the edges of your mask for air leaks and adjust if necessary.
- Improve mask fit so it’s snug and has no gaps.
- Adjust the ties or ear loops.
- Adjust the wire nosepiece if your mask has one.
Other ways to improve mask fit are as follows.
- Consider keeping facial hair shaved or short. This allows the mask to fit more closely to your face.
- Tie knots in the ear loops and tuck in the sides of the mask so that it lies flat.
- Use a mask fitter or brace to help provide a snug fit.
- Layer a well-fitting non-medical cloth mask over a disposable mask to help push the edges of the disposable mask closer to your face. Make sure that you can still breathe easily when wearing 2 masks.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: