Are Canadian adults getting enough sleep?
Organization: Public Health Agency of Canada
Current recommendationsFootnote 1 are:
7-9 Hours of sleep/night
7-8 Hours of sleep/night
1 in 4 adults aged 18-34
1 in 3 adults aged 35-64Footnote *
1 in 4 adults aged 65-79
are not getting enough sleep.
Let's talk about sleep quality, shall we?
- 1 in 2 adults have trouble going to sleep or staying asleep.
- 1 in 5 adults do not find their sleep refreshing.
- 1 in 3 adults have difficulty staying awake during waking hours.
A number of factors are related to insufficient sleep in adults:
More sedentary time
- Adults who get insufficient sleep report an average of 4.0 hours of sedentary time a day compared to an average of 3.5 hours for adults who get adequate sleep.
- 36.3% of adults who get insufficient sleep report having chronic stress compared to
23.2% of adults who get adequate sleep.
Poor mental health
12.3% of adults who get insufficient sleep report having poor mental health compared to
5.8% of adults who get adequate sleep.
Good sleep hygiene could lead to better sleepFootnote 2 , Footnote 3:
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine before bed
- Maintain a regular bedtime/waketime
- Practice relaxation and mindfulness-based stress reduction techniques
- Reduce noise in the sleeping environment
- Exercise regularly
- Review medications with your physician/pharmacist regularly
Good sleep. Part of a healthy lifestyle.
Learn more about sleep health at Canada.ca
- Search Physical activity, sedentary behaviour and sleep
- Get Data PASS Indicators
- Follow Us @GovCanHealth
- Like Us Healthy Canadians Facebook page
Data source: Canadian Health Measures Survey (CHMS) 2014-2015.
- Footnote 1
Hirshkowitz M, Whiton K, Albert SM, et al. National Sleep Foundation's updated sleep duration recommendations: Final report. Sleep Health 2015; 1:233-43
- Footnote 2
Irish LA, Kline CE, Gunn HE, Buysse DJ, Hall MH. The role of sleep hygiene in promoting public health: A review of empirical evidence. Sleep Medicine Reviews
- Footnote 3
Suzuki K, Miyamoto M, Hirata K. Sleep Disorders in the elderly: Diagnosis and management. Journal of General and Family Medicine 2017 Apr; 18(2):61-71
- Footnote 4
significant difference between males and females
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: