The Structured Interview for Candidates without Internal Audit Experience (AS-06)
This Structured Interview is intended to assess candidates without Internal Audit experience for selection to positions at the AS-06 – Internal Audit Project Leader level. The interview consists of behavioural and situational questions that assess six key competencies required of an Internal Audit Project Leader. The questions are job-related and systematic, making this tool a significant source of information in fair and accurate selection decisions, especially when used in conjunction with the Structured Reference Check for candidates without Internal Audit experience.
- Relationship management;
- Analytical and strategic thinking;
- Risk assessment; and
- Additional expertise.
How the Structured Interview works
The Structured Interview consists of two types of questions:
- Behavioural questions — candidates are asked to describe a professional experience in which they had to deal with a certain kind of situation; and
- Situational questions — candidates are asked to describe how they would respond to a hypothetical situation.
Before the interview, candidates receive a printed version of the interview questions and have 20 minutes to read the questions and prepare their responses.
The actual interview is a maximum of 50 minutes. There are six interview questions, each targeting one competency. During the interview, all Interview Board members take detailed notes of the candidate’s responses to all questions. Following the interview, the information is compiled and integrated by the board members, who subsequently discuss the information and observations gathered during the interview and achieve a consensus regarding the performance of each candidate.
Definitions of competencies
The Structured Reference Check for Candidates without Internal Audit Experience (AS-06)
The Structured Reference Check for candidates without Internal Audit experience is a useful source of information on a candidate’s past performance and behaviour. The Structured Reference Check provides reference checkers with a structured set of questions that assess a total of eight competencies. Referees are asked to provide examples of behaviours that the candidate has demonstrated in relation to the target competencies. This Structured Reference Check is to be used as part of the assessment process for candidates without Internal Audit experience for selection to positions at the AS-06 – Internal Audit Project Leader level; it is most useful when used with the Structured Interview for candidates without Internal Audit experience.
Competencies at the AS-06 level are assessed by a peer/client and a supervisor/team lead. The Structured Reference Check for candidates without Internal Audit experience (AS-06) assesses four competencies with a peer or client:
- Environmental awareness;
- Relationship management; and
The Structured Reference Check for candidates without Internal Audit experience (AS-06) assesses six competencies with a supervisor or team lead:
- Results orientation
- Environmental awareness
- Relationship management
- Analytical and strategic thinking
- Project management
- Internal audit
How the Structured Reference Check works
- Guidelines are sent to the referees to assist them in preparing for the structured reference check;
- Reference checkers then contact each referee and conduct the reference check. The reference checker ensures that the examples provided describe the candidate’s past accomplishments in a structured manner — clearly showing how the target competencies were demonstrated in the workplace; and
- When the structured reference check is conducted by the Personnel Psychology Centre, PPC provides personalized reports to the human resources advisor or the manager responsible for the appointment process.
Definitions of competencies
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: