Filing an income tax and benefit return on paper
COVID-19: Processing delays for T1 paper returns and adjustment requests
- CRA is experiencing delays in processing paper income tax and benefit returns and requests to change returns.
- File your 2019 taxes online by June 1, 2020 and register for direct deposit to get refunds faster and avoid interruptions to benefit and credit payments
- If you already filed a 2019 paper return that has not been processed yet, you can file it again online using NETFILE certified tax software. This does not include returns that the software says must be paper-filed or that are excluded from electronic filing.
- Submit your requests for changes electronically, using Change My Return in My Account or ReFILE. If you have already submitted a request to change your return by mail that has not been processed yet, you may be able to submit it again electronically.
What you need to know
To serve Canadians better, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will mail the 2019 Income tax package to individuals who filed their returns on paper last year.
The mailed package should arrive by February 17, 2020.
To get the forms by mail, your return must have been processed and your address with the CRA must have been updated before November 15, 2019.
The package includes:
- a letter from the Minister and Commissioner
- the 2019 income tax package
- the income tax and benefit guide,
- the provincial or territorial information guide, (with the exception of the province of Québec),
- two copies of the return (which now includes schedule 1),
- form 428 for your provincial or territorial tax (with the exception of the province of Québec),
- some personalized inserts or forms depending on eligibility
- a return envelope
What if you don’t receive a package by February 17, 2020?
If you still haven’t received your package, you can:
- order the package online as of January 21, 2020
- view, download and print the package online as of January 21, 2020
- order the package using our automated phone line as of February 24, 2020, your SIN is needed to use this service
- 1-855-330-3305 (for service in English)
- 1-855-330-3310 (for service in French)
Information to view, download and order the income tax package will be available at all Canada Post, Service Canada outlets, and Caisse populaire Desjardins locations.
It can take up to 10 business days for the 2019 Income tax package to arrive by mail. We want to make sure all Canadians have access to what they need for tax time.
Consider filing online
Filing online is fast, easy and secure. To file online, visit the CRA’s Get ready webpage for tax tips, a guide on how to file, and information on certified software, including some that are free.
Need help with your taxes? Free help may be available
If you have a modest income and a simple tax situation, a volunteer may be able to do your taxes for free. For more information or to find a free tax clinic, go to canada.ca/taxes-help.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: