Newcomers – Doing your taxes can benefit you!
Benefit and credit payments
Canada child benefit
- Up to $6,496 per year for each child under the age of 6
- Up to $5,481 per year for each child aged 6 to 17
- + any related provincial/territorial payment you may be eligible for
- Up to $568 per year
- + $149 per year for each child under the age of 19
- + any related provincial payment you may be eligible for
How do you get your payments?
Apply for benefits and credits as soon as you get your social insurance number from Service Canada. Then, fill out the following forms and send them to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) with all the required documents:
- Form RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application
- Form RC66SCH, Status in Canada / Statement of Income
- Form RC151, GST/HST Credit Application for Individuals Who Become Residents of Canada
How do you continue getting your payments?
You only need to apply once to find out if you are eligible for benefit and credit payments. Then as a resident of Canada, you need to do your taxes every year, even if you have no income, to continue getting your payments.
The CRA uses the information from your income tax and benefit return to calculate your payment amounts. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, they also have to do their taxes every year.
Avoid delays and incorrect payments
Changes to your personal information such as your marital status, the number of children in your care, and your address directly affect your benefit payments. To avoid delays and incorrect payments, update your personal information in My Account or call the CRA.
Need more information?
- To ask about benefits: 1-800-387-1193
- For general questions and to get forms: 1-800-959-8281
- Service Canada (social insurance number): 1-800-206-7218
The official versions of the CRA factsheet on benefits and credits are the English and French versions. While reasonable efforts are made to provide accurate translations, due to the nuances in translating to another language, slight differences or inaccuracies may exist.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: