Tax and benefit implications during a postal disruption

Starting September 26, 2018, mail delivery in all regions across Canada may be interrupted or delayed by a possible postal disruption at Canada Post.

Should this occur, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) agreed that they will continue to deliver essential socio-economic cheques which include the Canada Child Benefit (CCB) and advanced payments of the Working Income Tax Benefit (WITB).

All other benefit payments are not considered to be essential and may not be delivered until normal operations resume at Canada Post.

While this postal disruption may be delayed or avoided at any time, here are some important things to keep in mind related to your tax obligations:

  • Most other mail to or from the CRA, including refunds/rebates and other benefit payments, may not be delivered. Avoid missing a payment by signing up for direct deposit! If you are registered for direct deposit, you will receive your payments on time, but notices will be held until mail delivery resumes.
  • Even though notices may not be delivered by mail, if you are an existing user you can still login to My Account or My Business Account to view or print your notices. You can also sign up for online mail, which sends an email notification when there is information available to view online.


If you are registering for the My Account, My Business Account, or the MyCRA, MyBenefits CRA, or CRA BizApp mobile web app services, you may experience a delay in receiving your CRA security code letter to complete your registration. However, if you have completed the first part of the registration process for My Account and MyCRA you will have access to limited tax information.
  • You are still responsible for filing your returns and paying amounts owed to the CRA by the due date. With our online payment methods, it's never been easier to meet your tax obligations anytime, anywhere.

For more information on the status of the postal disruption, go to the Canada Post Service Alerts page.

Don't miss a payment!

Direct deposit is the quickest and most reliable way to get your refund, benefit or credit payments on time in the event of a postal disruption.

If you have entered your CRA security code, you can sign up through My Account, by using the MyCRA or MyBenefits CRA mobile apps, or by phone. Desjardins members and TD Canada Trust customers can now sign up for direct deposit through their financial institution.

Businesses who have entered their CRA security code can register for direct deposit through My Business Account, or by faxing Form RC366, Direct Deposit Request for Businesses to their tax centre. For more information, go to the direct deposit web page.

Please note that some cheques are prepared weeks before they are sent; in these cases your direct deposit request may not be processed in time to ensure that your next payment is made through direct deposit.

Digital services

Our secure digital services are fast and easy, so you can manage your tax affairs online. You can view your tax information, make a payment, access your correspondence, view benefit and credit payment dates, and more. Register for our digital services at

Making a payment

Taxpayers are required to make every effort to submit their payments and remittances on time. If you have a balance owing, there are many ways you can make a payment. Use your financial institutions online banking service, or use the CRA's secure online service My Payment, which allows individuals and businesses to send a payment to the CRA from their bank account. For a full list of available payment methods, go to the Make a payment page.

Proof of income statements, paper forms, and publications

Due to limited mail delivery during a postal disruption, paper forms and documents will not be delivered, and will be held until the disruption has ended. This includes access to information and privacy (ATIP) request response packages, proof of income statements (option 'C' prints), and orders for CRA forms. Individuals can still submit new ATIP requests using the ATIP online request portal, or by faxing a completed request form to 613-941-9395. Individuals and businesses requesting forms can also access, save, and print the forms they need by using the forms and publications section of our website, or the search page to find a specific form, free of charge. If you are registered for My Account and have entered your CRA security code, you can print a proof of income statement by logging in to the CRA's My Account and selecting "Proof of income statement (option 'C' print)."

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: