Transcript - International Students and Income Tax, Segment 15: After filing your income tax and benefit return

Host: Welcome to the segment called After filing your income tax and benefit return, part of the International Students and Income Tax video.

This segment mentions links where you can get more information. You can find all these links in the Related links for this segment.

With me is Peter Cheng. Welcome Peter.

Subject matter expert: Thank you Sarah.

Host: I have just filed my income tax and benefit return; what information should I keep?

Subject matter expert: You should keep complete and organized records of all the information you used to file your income tax and benefit return. Keep the records for six years after filing each return.

For more information on what records to keep, watch the CRA video series called Preparing Your Income Tax and Benefit Return.

Host: What happens to my return after the CRA receives it?

Subject matter expert: Generally, when the CRA receives your return, they screen it through the CRA's computer system and send you a notice of assessment.

However, the CRA may select your return for a more detailed review before they assess it.

The CRA can also carry out a more detailed review after assessing your return to verify the income you reported and the deductions or credits you claimed.

Host: How long does it normally take the CRA to review an international student's return and send out the notice of assessment?

Subject matter expert: If you filed your return online using NETFILE, your return will be processed in about two weeks. However, if you are a first-time filer or if you filed on paper, it may take up to six to eight weeks.

If you are signed up for the CRA's My Account service, you can track your return status online. You can also view the status of your benefit payments.

Host: Let's say I've filed my return and I discover that I made a mistake, how do I change my return?

Subject matter expert: Most importantly, do not file another return!

If your return has not yet been assessed, wait until you receive your notice of assessment.

Once you've received the notice of assessment, if there is still a mistake, you can change your return by going to the CRA's My Account service, or by sending all of the following documents to the tax centre that processed your return: a completed Form T1-ADJ, T1 Adjustment Request, and supporting documents for the changes you want to make, and, if you haven't sent them to the CRA before, supporting documents for your original claim.

Host: What information do I have to include on Form T1-ADJ? 

Subject matter expert: Be sure to include the years of the returns you want the CRA to change, your social insurance number or individual tax number, your address, and a telephone number where the CRA can reach you during the day.

Host: How long does it take to process my adjustment request?

Subject matter expert: If you send the adjustment request electronically, the CRA may process it within two weeks. If you send it by mail it may take eight weeks.

When the CRA completes its review of your adjustment request, you will receive a notice of reassessment showing the changes to your return. If the CRA didn't accept the changes or if no changes were needed, you will receive a letter of explanation.

Host: What should I do if I disagree with the notice of assessment or notice of reassessment?

Subject matter expert: As an international student, you should first contact the CRA. The address and telephone numbers for the International Tax Services Office are available on the CRA's website.

Host: What if I still disagree?

Subject matter expert: If you still disagree, you can make a formal objection by logging into the CRA's My Account service. You can also send Form T400A, Objection - Income Tax Act, or a letter to the Chief of Appeals. Send the form or letter on or before whichever of these two dates is later: one year after the due date for the return or 90 days after the date of the notice of assessment or notice of reassessment.

For more information, see Pamphlet P148, Resolving your dispute: Objection and appeal rights under the Income Tax Act.

Host: Thank you, Peter.

This concludes the segment called After filing your income tax and benefit return, part of the CRA's International Students and Income Tax video.

Thank you for watching. 

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: