Do I have to file? Segment 4


Host: Welcome to the segment called Do I have to file?, part of the International Students and Income Tax video.

This segment mentions links where you can get more information. You can find all these links in the Related links for this segment.

With me is Peter Cheng. Hello Peter.

Subject matter expert: Hi Sarah.

Host: As an international student, do I have to file an income tax and benefit return? 

Subject matter expert: It depends on your situation. You must file a return if you have to pay tax or if you want to claim a refund.

Other situations can also apply. To get a more detailed list of situations where you have to file a return or when you may want to do so, go to the CRA's webpage called Do you have to file a return?

Host: Let's say I'm an international student who is a resident for tax purposes and I don't have to file a tax return. Are there any situations where I should file a tax return?

Subject matter expert: Yes, in some cases there are. For example, you need to file a return if you want to apply for the GST/HST credit or any related provincial credit or if you, your spouse, or common-law partner want to receive the Canada child tax benefit payments.

You may also want to carry forward or transfer the unused part of your tuition, education, and textbook amounts, report income for which you could contribute to a registered retirement savings plan, or claim the working income tax benefit.

Host: Thank you, Peter.

This concludes the segment called Do I have to file?, part of the CRA's International Students and Income Tax video.

Thank you for watching.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: