Can’t get through on the phone lines? Try one of our free, online self-service options. Your answers may be a click away!

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) would like to remind Canadians that April is the busiest time of the year for our phone lines. While the CRA aims to respond to all callers, there will be periods when all its agents are fully occupied answering individuals’ calls. During these times, you may need to make a few attempts to reach us, and the option to speak to an agent may not be immediately available. If you can’t get through, the CRA offers evening and weekend service until May 1. These times can be less busy than daytime hours during the week. Calling later in the week can also help since Mondays and Tuesdays are normally busier.

There are other alternatives to help individuals find answers to commonly asked tax questions. We suggest listening to the recorded messages, or using one of our free, online self-service options to help manage your tax and benefit affairs. You may be able to solve your basic tax filing questions by staying on the line for a few minutes or in just a few clicks.

Here are some common reasons individuals call the CRA

How do you register for My Account?

My Account is a secure online portal that lets you view personal tax and benefit information such as your tax return and refund status, notice of assessment, RRSP deduction limit and TFSA contribution room, personalized benefit and credit information, and more. You can also manage tax and benefit affairs such as register for and manage online mail, change your address, set up direct deposit, and change your tax return.

To register, go to and select "CRA register." If you’re using your mobile device, register through one of the CRA’s mobile web apps at

Here’s what you will need:

  • your social insurance number
  • your date of birth
  • your postal or zip code
  • an amount you entered on either your current or previous tax year’s income tax and benefit return. Have your tax returns on hand, because the CRA will ask you about an amount you entered from either of those returns.

How can you find your refund amount or the amount you owe?

Find your amount due or your refund by logging into My Account or the MyCRA mobile app. If you are getting a refund, the details will include the refund method (direct deposit or mailed cheque), the date it was sent, and the amount. You can also confirm your refund through our automated Tax Information Phone Service (TIPS) by calling 1-800-267-6999.

Where do you get your tax slips (T3, T4, T5)?

Tax slips are prepared by your employer, payer, or administrator, and you should have received most of your slips by the end of February. You should contact your employer or issuer of the slip if you have not yet received your slips for the current year. You can also log into My Account to view your tax slips for current and prior tax years.

How do you change your address?

You can change your address by going to My Account, or using the MyCRA and MyBenefits CRA mobile apps. You can also fill out Form RC325, Address change request, or write a letter and mail or fax it to your tax centre. Your letter must include your signature, social insurance number, new address, and moving date.

Where can you get help doing my taxes?

If you need help, and have a modest income and a simple tax situation, a volunteer from the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program may be able to do your taxes for you. To find a clinic near you and to see if you’re eligible, go to

Stay connected


  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Mobile apps
  • Feeds
  • Email
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: