Donate wisely: Take time to learn about a charity before you donate
Did you know?
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) regulates more than 85,000 registered charities in Canada, and has online tools to help you learn more about them before you make your donation!
- Check to see if your charity is registered with the CRA. Go to www.cra.gc.ca/charitylists or call us at 1-800-267-2384.
- Beware of charitable donation schemes that promise you tax savings greater than your initial donation amount. Remember the motto that if it sounds too good to be true – it probably is.
- Some fraudulent charities take names that are very similar to other well-known legitimate charities in order to get your donations.
- Do not make a donation if you feel inappropriate pressure to give immediately, if you are offered a receipt for more than you actually donate, or if there are other signs of fraud.
- Report fraud to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre by calling 1-888-495-8501.
- Only registered charities and other qualified donees can issue receipts that can be used for income tax purposes. Be aware of possible donation schemes, including those that promise you returns greater than your initial donation amount. For more information, please see The Canada Revenue Agency: protecting Canadians from gifting tax shelter schemes.
To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: