Cattle Ranching and Farming Sector
This sector comprises businesses primarily engaged in raising and fattening cattle. Activities in this sector include:
- beef cattle finishing
- beef cattle ranching
- beef cattle ranching and farming, including the use of feedlots
- beef farming
- dairy heifer replacement production
- raising milk breeding stock
- raising dairy animal stock
- fattening cattle in stockyards
The raising of cattle for dairy herd replacements is also included in this industry. Activities include:
- dairy cattle (cows) farming and milk production
- dairy cattle and milk production
- raising dairy cattle for milking and meat production
- production of raw fluid milk or cream
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) consulted with industry associations to explain the Industry Campaign Approach (ICA) and to solicit their input to improve campaign correspondence. Starting in March 2017, over 5,000 letters were sent to new businesses and repeat late-filers in this subsector. The letter to new businesses conveyed information on common mistakes and provided useful tips, along with links to the CRA website where further support could be found. The letter to repeat late-filers, who are now up to date, reminded them to file their next tax return on time. That letter provided the filing due date, as well as information on late-filing penalties and interest.
Feedback received from associations in this sector has been very supportive of the ICA because of the campaign’s focus on consultation and providing information to prevent errors.
Forms and Publications
My Account for Individuals
- My Account allows you to track your refund, view or change your return, check your benefit and credit payments, view your RRSP limit, set up direct deposit, receive email notifications from the CRA, and so much more.
- If you are registered with My Account, you can also use Auto-fill my return when you file online using certified software.
- On your mobile device? Try the MyCRA mobile app - you can securely access key parts of your tax information and manage personal details, wherever you are.
- Employees and representatives can access an account on behalf of their employer or business clients. See Represent a Client.
- Business owners (including partners, directors, and officers) can access their GST/HST, payroll, corporation income taxes, excise taxes, excise duties and other levies accounts online. What can I do on My Business Account?
Financial Performance Data (Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada)
With Financial Performance Data you can view financial data based on industry averages, with an option to include your own income statement and balance sheet information in the report.
We're here to help!
We're here to help!
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) wants to help you and your new business get your tax affairs right from the start. By avoiding common mistakes, you can be more confident that you are meeting your tax obligations.
Here are some recommendations to help you throughout the year:
Keep track of your expenses
- Keep personal and business expense receipts separate
- Get a receipt for all of your expenses (including those paid in cash) and give a receipt when you sell goods or services for cash
- Use Form T2042, Statement of Farming Activities, to calculate your farming expenses
Keep track of your depreciable property
- Track the equipment you buy and sell during the year
- Refer to Guide T4003, Farming and Fishing Income, at canada.ca/cra-forms-publications for details about capital cost allowance (CCA)
- Keep your business records for at least six years from the end of the tax year they relate to
Get more information
- You may wish to talk to a tax professional about your tax situation
- Manage your tax affairs more efficiently with the CRA's My Account by registering your business at canada.ca/my-cra-account
- Evaluate your financial performance on Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada's website at http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/pp-pp.nsf/eng/home
- Find out more about the Industry Campaign Approach at canada.ca/cra-industry-campaigns
Visit canada.ca/revenue-agency or call 1-800-959-5525
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: