Keep getting your payments
On this page
- Continue to look for work
- Validating your application
- Re-apply for the CESB
- When and how to expect your payment
Continue to look for work
If you are able to work, you must be actively looking for a job to be eligible to receive the CESB. If you still cannot find work due to COVID-19, you can re-apply for each CESB eligibility period that you are eligible for.
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) may ask you to provide information later to verify that you have been looking for work during the eligibility period(s) that you have applied for, so it is important to keep track of your ongoing job search activities.
Registering with the Government of Canada Job Bank is an easy way for you to show that you are looking for work. Once registered, the Job Bank will notify you of current jobs available in your field and location, as well as jobs available in essential sectors. You can also use the Job Bank to find tips to help you update your resume and explore career options. By using the Job Bank, you can keep track of your job search activities in one place.
Validating your application
The CRA is validating applications in order to maintain public confidence in Canada’s tax system and ensure that payments are available for people who need them most.
We may need some more information before processing your application.
If you need to validate your application
If you receive a notice asking you to validate your application, you must call the toll-free number provided in the notice.
We may ask you to call us for any of the following reasons:
- Confirm the personal information we have on file
- Verify that you meet the eligibility criteria
- Review your account activity if we detect any suspicious behaviour
Before you call, have the following information on hand
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Full name and date of birth
- A copy of a government issued identification such as a license or passport
- Access to your CRA My Account, if applicable, or an assessed return, notice of assessment or reassessment, or other tax document
To complete our validation, we may also ask you to provide some additional documents as they apply to your situation.
We may ask for the following documents
- Recent pay slips
- Employer name and address
- Record of Employment
- Statement of benefits
- Invoice for services rendered
- Receipt of payment for the service(s) provided
- Other readily available and relevant information
Reviewing your eligibility
We will review the information we have in our records and consider the supporting documents that you provide to establish your eligibility.
We may contact third parties, including the document issuing authorities, to authenticate the contents of the supporting documents you provide.
It can take 2 to 3 weeks to process your file from the date we receive your complete response. We will contact you once the validation is complete.
If you received a CESB payment that you are not eligible for, we will contact you to make arrangements to repay any amounts you may owe. Canadians can also report suspected CESB misuse through the CRA’s Leads program.
Re-apply for the CESB
To re-apply for the CESB, one of the following must still apply:
- you are unable to work due to COVID-19
- you are looking for, but cannot find work due to COVID-19
- you are currently working during the COVID-19 pandemic, but your income from employment and self-employment has been $1,000 or less (before taxes) during the 4-week period you are applying for
If your situation continues, you can re-apply for another 4-week eligibility period. The final eligibility period is August 2 to August 29, 2020. Applications will not be accepted after September 30, 2020.
When and how to expect your payment
If you are eligible for the CESB, you can expect $1,250 for the 4-week eligibility period you applied for, or $2,000 for those who have dependants or a disability.
The fastest way to get your payment is to make sure your direct deposit is set up. Direct deposit is paid in 3 business days, otherwise you should get a cheque in about 10 business days.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: