Validation of applications
CESB applications from September 28 to 30, 2020
The CESB closed for applications on September 30, 2020. However, from September 28 to 30, 2020, CRA’s My Account and automated phone line were experiencing technical issues. If you tried to apply for CESB but were unable to apply using those services during that time, then you may still be able to apply by speaking to an agent at 1-800-959-8281.
When you call, we will check our systems records to verify that you tried to apply on September 28, 29 or 30. We will only process your application if we can confirm in our records that you tried to apply during those three days.
The CRA is validating applications in order to maintain public confidence in Canada’s tax system and ensure that payments are available for people who need them most.
We may need some more information before processing your application.
If you need to validate your application
If you receive a notice asking you to validate your application, you must call the toll-free number provided in the notice.
We may ask you to call us for any of the following reasons:
- Confirm the personal information we have on file
- Verify that you meet the eligibility criteria
- Review your account activity if we detect any suspicious behaviour
Before you call, have the following information on hand
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Full name and date of birth
- A copy of a government issued identification such as a license or passport
- Access to your CRA My Account, if applicable, or an assessed return, notice of assessment or reassessment, or other tax document
To complete our validation, we may also ask you to provide some additional documents as they apply to your situation.
We may ask for the following documents
- Recent pay slips
- Employer name and address
- Record of Employment
- Statement of benefits
- Invoice for services rendered
- Receipt of payment for the service(s) provided
- Other readily available and relevant information
Reviewing your eligibility
We will review the information we have in our records and consider the supporting documents that you provide to establish your eligibility.
We may contact third parties, including the document issuing authorities, to authenticate the contents of the supporting documents you provide.
It can take 2 to 3 weeks to process your file from the date we receive your complete response. We will contact you once the validation is complete.
If you received a CESB payment that you are not eligible for, we will contact you to make arrangements to repay any amounts you may owe. Canadians can also report suspected CESB misuse through the CRA’s Leads program.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: