Language selection


Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB)

Return a payment

On this page

Why you would send CRB back

If you are not eligible for the Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB), you will have to return any payments you received.

Return or repay the CRB to the CRA if you:

  • applied for the CRB and later found that you do not meet the eligibility criteria
  • received a payment in error

To review the periods in a calendar, go to Period start and end dates.

Individuals who make intentionally fraudulent claims may also face additional consequences, such as penalties or possible jail time.

Recognize repayment scams

Beware of fraudulent emails, texts or calls claiming to be from the CRA about repaying the CRB or requesting personal information.

For more on what to expect when we contact you, and what information we ask for, go to Protect yourself against fraud.

How repayments can impact your taxes

Your CRB amounts are taxable. You will need to report the amounts from your T4A tax slip on your 2020 tax return. Your T4A slip will also be available in CRA My Account.

If you return 2020 CRB payments after December 31, 2020, you may need to pay tax on the full CRB amount you received in 2020 (this will be adjusted after you file your 2021 taxes).

If you returned payments before December 31, 2020, the repaid amounts should be subtracted from the benefit amount on your T4A slip. This means you will not have to pay tax on those repaid amounts on your 2020 tax return.

How to return CRB to CRA

You can return or repay your CRB payment to the CRA online or by mail.

If you were paid by direct deposit or don't have the original CRB cheque

To repay the CRB, choose one of the following options:

Online with CRA:
Sign in to CRA My Account
Online banking:

With your financial institution:

  1. Sign in to your financial institution's online banking service
  2. Under "Add a payee" look for an option such as CRA (revenue) – Canada emergency benefit repayment or CEB repayment to repay a CRA administered COVID-19 benefit
  3. Enter your 9 digit social insurance number (SIN) as the CRA account number
By mail:

Mail a cheque or money order to the CRA:

  1. Make the payment out to "Receiver General for Canada"
  2. Indicate it is for "Repayment of Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB)"
  3. Indicate which eligibility period you are repaying
  4. Include your Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  5. Mail your payment:

    Revenue Processing – Repayment of CRB
    Sudbury Tax Centre
    1050 Notre Dame Avenue
    Sudbury ON P3A 0C3

If you still have the original CRB cheque

You can return the cheque by mail.

Be sure to include:

  1. the reason for returning the cheque ("not entitled" or "overpayment")
  2. your Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Mail the cheque to:

Revenue Processing – Repayment of CRB
Sudbury Tax Centre
1050 Notre Dame Avenue
Sudbury ON P3A 0C3

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

(Don’t include any personal information. Note that you will not receive a reply.)
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Date modified: