Language selection


Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB)

Return a payment

On this page

Why you would send CRCB back

If you applied for the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) by mistake and you are not eligible, you will have to return any payments you received. We encourage you to return any payments you received in 2020 that you’re not eligible for before December 31, 2020.

You must return or repay the CRCB to the CRA if you:

  • applied for the CRCB and later found that you are not eligible
  • received a payment in error
  • received a payment for the same period as another member in your household
  • are found to have made a fraudulent claim
  • received one of the following for the same eligibility period:
    • Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB)
    • Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB)
    • short-term disability benefits
    • workers' compensation benefits
    • Employment Insurance (EI) benefits
    • Québec Parental Insurance Plan (QPIP) benefits

Review period start and end dates in a calendar.

Individuals who intentionally make fraudulent claims may also face additional consequences, such as penalties or possible jail time.

Recognize repayment scams

Beware of fraudulent emails, texts or calls claiming to be from the CRA about repaying the CRCB or requesting personal information.

For more on what to expect when we contact you, and what information we ask for, go to Protect yourself against fraud.

How to return CRCB to CRA

You can return or repay your CRCB payment to the CRA online or by mail.

If you were paid by direct deposit or don't have the original CRCB cheque

To repay the CRCB, choose one of the following options:

Online with CRA:
Sign in to CRA My Account
Online banking:

With your financial institution:

  1. Sign in to your financial institution's online banking service
  2. Under "Add a payee" look for an option such as: Canada emergency benefit repayment
  3. Enter your 9 digit social insurance number (SIN) as the CRA account number
By mail:

Mail a cheque or money order to the CRA:

  1. Make the payment out to "Receiver General for Canada"
  2. Indicate it is for "Repayment of the Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB)"
  3. Indicate which eligibility period you are repaying
  4. Include your Social Insurance Number (SIN)
  5. Mail your payment:

    Revenue Processing – Repayment of CRCB
    Sudbury Tax Centre
    1050 Notre Dame Avenue
    Sudbury ON P3A 0C3

If you still have the original CRCB cheque

You can return the cheque by mail.

Be sure to include:

  1. the reason for returning the cheque ("not entitled" or "overpayment")
  2. your Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Mail the cheque to:

Revenue Processing – Repayment of CRCB
Sudbury Tax Centre
1050 Notre Dame Avenue
Sudbury ON P3A 0C3

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

(Don’t include any personal information. Note that you will not receive a reply.)
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Date modified: