Apply for child benefits online
With the Apply for child benefits service available on My Account, you can do all of the following at the same time:
- apply for the Canada child benefit (CCB) and related provincial and territorial benefits; and
- register children for the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit and related provincial programs.
Notice to the reader:
If you have provided your consent to use the Automated Benefits Application (ABA) service on the provincial birth registration form, you must not use the Apply for child benefits services or submit a completed Form RC66 Canada child benefits application for the child. Re-applying may result in a delay in processing your ABA application and issuing payments.
Frequently asked questions about Apply for child benefits online
- What is Apply for child benefits?
- What benefits can I apply for online?
- How do I access Apply for child benefits?
- What information will I need to apply for my benefits online?
- What are the advantages of applying for my child benefits online?
- What security and confidentiality measures are in place when applying for benefits and credits online?
1. What is Apply for child benefits?
Apply for child benefits is one of the electronic services available in My Account. It provides Canadians with a direct and secure electronic self-serve option to apply for child benefits and credits.
2. What benefits can I apply for online?
With the Apply for child benefits you can apply for the Canada child benefit (CCB) and related provincial and territorial benefits, and register your children for the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit and related provincial programs.
3. How do I access Apply for child benefits?
- To access the Apply for child benefits you will first need to access My Account.
- To access My Account, you will need to register for a Canada Revenue Agency user ID and password.
- When you login to the My Account service, you will be presented with a personalized welcome page.
- Your personalized page contains links that provide your tax and benefit account information. You can access Apply for child benefits by selecting the "Do it online" link from the left side bar on your personalized welcome page, or once you have accessed the Benefits portion of the My Account portal.
4. What information will I need to provide to apply for my benefits online?
- When you are logged on to Apply for child benefits you will need to confirm your contact information, your marital status and your citizenship.
- To add your child, you will be asked to provide information such as, the name, gender, date and place of birth and care giver information.
- When you submit your online application, you will get a confirmation that the information has been received and is being processed.
- You will also get a message telling you when you can expect to hear from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) about your application.
- You can also verify the status of your application by looking at the application status indicator message in the main menu of the benefits portion of My Account.
If additional information is required to complete your application, you can use the “Submit document” service in My Account to provide it electronically.
5. What are the advantages of applying for my benefits online?
- Apply for child benefits is a direct and secure self-serve online transaction option offered through My Account that provides the convenience and flexibility of applying online for benefits anytime, anywhere, and in the official language of your choice.
- The service is available all year long, 21 hours a day, 7 days a week.
6. What security and confidentiality measures are in place when applying for benefits and credits online?
Protecting the privacy and confidentiality of taxpayer information is critical to the CRA. We use sophisticated and proven security technology and procedures to protect both our website and taxpayers' confidential tax information at all times.
Confidential tax and benefit information is not stored in the Web-server environment and sophisticated security technology is used to protect your information during transmission. The CRA adheres to the same security standard as other online services such as banking, where security is a priority. Your electronic authentication is verified before you can begin any electronic transactions and before any personal tax information is provided to you. Security is maintained throughout the session.
For more information, visit My Account.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: