GST/HST credit : calculation and payments

1. When are GST/HST credit payments made?

If you qualify for GST/HST credit, the payments are generally issued on the fifth day of the month in July, October, January, and April or you can go to benefit payment dates for details.

To view your personalized benefit information, including your next benefit and credit payment date and amount, use the MyBenefits CRA mobile application.

You can subscribe to the benefit and credit payment dates reminders electronic mailing list to be notified when the next GST/HST credit payments will be issued.

For more information, please see the page GST/HST credit.

2. I did not receive my GSTC payment this quarter. What should I do?

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) generally pay your credit on the 5th of each quarter (July, October, January & April). If your payment does not arrive on that day, please wait ten working days before contacting the CRA.

3. How do I tell the CRA about my change of address?

When you're moving, please send us your new address as soon as possible.

4. When does the CRA recalculate your GST/HST credit?

The CRA will recalculate your credit and send you a goods and services tax / harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit notice showing the revised calculation:

  • after each reassessment of either your or your spouse/common-law partner's return that affects the calculation of your credit
  • after you tell the CRA about changes to your situation that could affect your credit (see keep your information up to date)

5. I will be turning 19 years of age before April 1, 2019. Do I qualify for any GST/HST credit payments based on the 2017 income tax return?

Yes. To receive the GST/HST credit, you have to be 19 years of age (unless you are a parent or married or living common-law). You should file a 2017 return. That way, if you are entitled to receive it, your first payment will be after the month of your 19th birthday. For example, if you turn 19 in July, August, or September 2018, you are eligible for the GST/HST credit starting in October 2018, as it is the first payment date after the month of your 19th birthday. Similarly, if you turn 19 in October, November, or December 2018, you will be eligible for the credit beginning in January 2019.

6. How is my credit calculated?

The CRA calculates your credit for the benefit period of July 2018 to June 2019 based on:

  • the number of children for whom you have registered for the Canada child benefit (CCB) or the GST/HST credit
  • your family net income for 2017

If you are single, your family net income is the amount from line 236 of your income tax return, or the amount that it would be if you completed one. If you have a spouse or common-law partner, their net income is added with your net income to get your family net income.

Please note the Universal Child Care Benefit (reported on line 117 of your tax return) and registered disability savings plan (reported on line 125 of your tax return) are not included as part of your family net income for the calculation of your GST/HST credit. However, if you are required to repay any part of the Universal Child Care Benefit (reported on line 213 of your tax return) and registered disability savings plan (reported on line 232 of your tax return), the CRA will include these amounts as part of your family net income.

Family net income does not include your child's net income.

For more details, see the GST/HST credit pamphlet.

7. How can I get my GST/HST credit by direct deposit?

You can have your GST/HST credit payments and tax refund deposited directly into your account at a financial institution. To start direct deposit or to change information you already gave the CRA, please consult the CRA direct deposit page.

If for any reason the CRA cannot deposit a payment into your account, the CRA will mail a cheque to you at the address on file.

8. How do I change my banking information?

If you get your payments by direct deposit and your banking information changes, access My Account to change your banking information or send the CRA a completed Direct Deposit Enrolment Form. You can also contact us.

9. What happens if a GST/HST credit recipient dies?

An individual is not entitled to the GST/HST credit after he or she dies. However, the CRA may send out a payment after the date of death because the CRA is not aware of the situation. If this happens, please return the payment to the tax centre that serves your area, and give the CRA the date of death so the CRA can update their records. For more information, please consult the GST/HST credit pamphlet.

10. What happens if you owe money for the GST/HST credit?

If you received a GST/HST credit overpayment, please refer to the CRA balance owing – benefits overpayment page.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: