2021 Ontario energy and property tax credit (OEPTC) - Calculation sheet for married or common law individuals who have or do not have children
Download a calculation sheet in pdf format.
Use this calculation if you had a spouse or a common-law partner and both of you were under the age of 64 on December 31, 2020. This calculation sheet applies whether you have children or not.
If one of you was 64 years of age or older on December 31, 2020, then you should use the calculation sheet called Calculation sheet for married or common law seniors who have or do not have children.
Step 1 - Occupancy cost
- Multiply your rent paid in Ontario for 2020 by 20%.
- Add your property tax paid in Ontario for 2020.
- Add $25.00 if you lived in a student residence.
This is your occupancy cost.
Step 2 - Energy component
- Multiply the amount paid for a public or non-profit long-term care home in Ontario for 2020 by 20%.
- Add the amount paid for home energy costs on a reserve in Ontario for 2020.
- Add the result of Step 1.
- Subtract $25.00 if you lived in a student residence.
Your energy component is D or $243.00, whichever is less.
Step 3 - Property tax component
- Multiply the result of Step 1 by 10%.
- Use A or $791.00, whichever is less.
- Add $61.00 to B.
Your property tax component is C or the result of Step 1, whichever is less.
Step 4 - Energy and property tax credit
- Add the results of Step 2 and Step 3.
- Subtract $30,415.00 from your adjusted family net income for 2020 (if negative, the result is zero).
- Multiply B by 2%.
- Subtract C from A.
- Divide D by 12.
D is your annual OEPTC entitlement.
E is your monthly OEPTC entitlement.
If your annual OEPTC amount plus, if applicable, your annual Ontario sales tax credit and Northern Ontario energy credit is:
- $2.00 or less, no payment will be issued.
- from $2.01 to $10.00, you will receive one payment of $10.00.
- $360.00 or less, you will receive it in one payment instead of monthly.
The first monthly 2021 Ontario trillium benefit payment, which includes any OEPTC entitlement, will be issued on July 9, 2021.
However, if you made a choice on your 2020 return to wait to receive your 2021 OTB entitlement, it will be issued on June 10, 2022.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: