Request a CPP/EI ruling

A ruling is an official decision issued by an authorized officer of the CRA in accordance with the Canada Pension Plan and the Employment Insurance Act. A Canada Pension Plan / Employment Insurance (CPP/EI) ruling can determine the following:

  • whether an employee is self-employed or not;
  • whether employment is pensionable and/or insurable;
  • the amount of pensionable earnings and/or insurable earnings/hours; and
  • who the actual employer is.

For details about the CPP/EI process, time limits for requests, the appeal process, and other important information; select, "How CPP/EI Rulings work" from the "Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and Employment Insurance (EI) Rulings" page at

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: