Climate action incentive payment

For residents of Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta

The climate action incentive is a quarterly benefit paid to help individuals and families offset the cost of federal pollution pricing. It includes a basic amount and a supplement for residents of small and rural communities.

If you are eligible to receive the climate action incentive payment (CAIP), you have to file a tax return even if you did not receive any income in the year. If you reside outside a census metropolitan area (CMA), tick the box under “Climate action incentive payment” on page 2 of your return to apply for the rural supplement.

If your marital status is married or living common-law and both you and your spouse or common-law partner were residing in the same location outside of a CMA, you must tick the box on both of your returns. The CAIP will be paid to the spouse or common-law partner whose tax return is assessed first. No matter who receives the benefit, the amount will be the same.


All residents of Prince Edward Island (PEI) are entitled to the rural supplement. If you are a PEI resident, you do not need to tick a box to apply. You will get the rural supplement automatically.

For more information see Climate action incentive payment.

Page details

Date modified: