Language selection


Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy (CERS)

Prepare for our review of your claim

On this page

We will be reviewing claims to confirm the information you submit.

Keep your records

You must keep records showing information that supports your rent subsidy claim, such as your reduction in revenue and amounts for your eligible expenses.

If you use the online calculator to calculate your subsidy amounts, print the results summary or save an electronic copy for your records. We may ask to see it when validating your claim.

If you calculate your amounts another way, you must still save a record of how you came up with your amounts.

If you have affiliated entities that are also applying for CERS for the same period you are, you must save a copy of the agreement you made about the percentage of the subsidy each business will claim.

Revenue drop – supporting documents

Other documents you may need to show to support your revenue drop include your:

  • sales journal
  • general ledger
  • revenue amounts
  • working paper calculations

Eligible expenses – supporting documents

Other documents you may need to show to support the expenses you claimed include your:

  • rental or lease agreements
  • property tax bills
  • insurance documents
  • mortgage documents
    • provincial land title or property abstract, or
    • title number, legal description, or other property identifying numbers such as
      • parcel identifier number (PID)
      • land identifier numerical codes (LINC)
      • property identification number (PIN)
      • mortgage registration number
  • bank statements
  • receipts or other proof of payment

Read more about records you should keep

Calls and letters from the CRA

The CRA may need to contact you by phone or mail to confirm details, ask for more information about your application, or notify you that your claim was not approved. Please make sure your contact information is current.

Calls from the CRA

CRA phone agents will never:

  • use threatening or coercive language
  • ask for full banking information, or
  • ask for your full Social Insurance Number (SIN)

CRA phone agents should be able to provide you with information about your CERS application, as well as their name and phone number.

  • If you have concerns about a call you received from the CRA

    If you have concerns about a call you received regarding your CERS application, please call the Business Enquiries line to verify the name and number of the person that called you.

    You can also read more about how to recognize scams.

Letters from the CRA

You may receive a letter from the CRA if your application for CERS was not accepted, or if your claim was modified after we review the information.

Consequences of fraudulent claims

If you do not meet the Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy eligibility requirements for a period, you will be required to repay any amounts you received for that period. Canadians can also report suspected CERS misuse through the CRA’s Leads program.

Penalties may apply in cases of fraudulent claims, including fines or even imprisonment.

If you artificially reduce your revenue for the purpose of claiming the rent subsidy, you will be required to repay any subsidy amounts you received, plus a penalty equal to 25% of the total value.

The methods we use to review and verify compliance for CERS are the same as the methods we use for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS).

Read more about CERS compliance on the CEWS FAQ page

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Date modified: