Language selection


Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS)

Change or cancel your claim

On this page

Claim period deadlines

There is a deadline to:

  • apply for the wage subsidy for each claim period, or
  • increase the amount of your previous claim

The deadline is different for each claim period:

Periods 6 and later
180 days after the end of the claim period
Periods 1 to 5
February 1, 2021

There is no deadline to cancel or reduce the amount of a previous claim.

What to do if you missed a claim period deadline

You must make every attempt to apply, or make changes to increase the amount of your previous claim, before that claim period’s deadline. After the deadline has passed, we will only consider your late application or request to increase your previous claim amount under certain circumstances:

If one or more of the situations apply to you, you must also get permission and submit your late application or late request to increase the amount of your previous claim within 30 calendar days following the later of:

  • April 21, 2021, or
  • the claim period’s deadline

You must request permission to apply or increase your previous claim after the claim period deadline

Contact CRA’s Business Enquiries phone line to see if you meet the necessary conditions to submit your late request to apply or change your application to increase your previous claim after the claim period deadline.

If you meet the criteria to submit a late request, you will then be able to apply or request to increase your previous claim using the regular methods:

After you submit your late request, CRA will review it and notify you when we have accepted, adjusted, or denied your claim.

If you do not meet the criteria to submit a late request, you may ask for a further review by logging into My Business Account and choosing “Register a formal dispute”.

Change a claim

To change a previous wage subsidy application you submitted, go back into the CEWS application under the Payroll menu of:

If you applied using the Web Forms application and need to change your claim, you may call CRA’s business enquiries phone number.

You will need to make sure you continue to meet eligibility requirements for any updated claims, and keep records supporting your wage subsidy claim adjustment.

When completing the adjustment, you will need:

  • your payroll program account number (123456789RP0001, for example)
  • to know which claim period you are adjusting
  • all of the information necessary to change the amount on each line(s) you would like to adjust

Representatives who are changing a claim on behalf of an employer must be authorized at level 2 or 3. You will need to have an updated Attestation for owner/managers and/or senior employees to support the amended application.

Switching your claim from CEWS to CRHP

If you want to apply for CRHP instead of CEWS for a claim period, you only need to apply for CRHP for the same period. Your CEWS application will be replaced when your CRHP claim is submitted and you will receive the net difference between the two subsidies.

Cancel a claim

To cancel an application, follow the same steps as you would to change an application.

When you are adjusting the application you want to cancel, change the amounts on lines C, D, E, F, and G to zero to cancel it. Do not change lines c0, c1, c2 or c3.

You will need to return any wage subsidy you have already received if you cancel your application.

Did you find what you were looking for?

What was wrong?

You will not receive a reply. Telephone numbers and email addresses will be removed.
Maximum 300 characters

Thank you for your feedback

Date modified: