Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS)
Calculate your subsidy amount
When you apply for the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS), you will be asked to enter amounts such as the number of eligible employees and gross payroll. You can determine these amounts and preview your subsidy claim, based on information you enter. The calculator is a tool to help you estimate the amount of your wage subsidy.
Before you calculate your subsidy, make sure you are eligible to apply.
After you apply for the wage subsidy, your claim will be subject to verification.
On this page
How the subsidy is calculated
The CEWS amount is based on:
- the number and type of eligible employees you have, and
- the amount and type of pay in respect of a period they received before and during the crisis
See the math behind the subsidy calculation
For each qualifying period, A-B-C+D, where:
- A =
The total amount for all eligible employees for each week in the qualifying period, the greater of X or Y, where:
- X =
The least of the following:
- Y =
The least of the following:
- B =
- 10% Temporary Wage Subsidy for Employers amount (must be the eligible amount for the period, even if the employer did not reduce their related payroll remittances by that amount)
- C =
- Total of amounts received by employees through ESDC's Work-Sharing program for any weeks in the qualifying period
- D =
If the employer has any eligible employees on leave with pay :
Total amount of employers premium (EI) and employer CPP or QPP contributions paid in respect to those employees for any weeks in the qualifying periodand
Total amount of employer premiums paid under the Quebec Parental Insurance Plan (QPIP) in respect to those employees for any weeks in the qualifying period.
There is no limit on the total subsidy amount that an eligible employer may claim.
Input your information
You can use the calculator below to determine the subsidy you can expect for your organization. This calculator will help you to determine some specific line amounts (lines A – G) that you will need to enter into the CEWS application form.
Note: You must do a separate calculation and application for each payroll program (RP) account you have with the CRA.
How to use the calculator
- Calculate the basic CEWS using the provided spreadsheet
- Input the amounts from the spreadsheet on this page as indicated
- Enter the refund of employer contributions for any employees on leave with pay
- Enter any amounts for employees receiving a Work-Sharing benefit through Employment Insurance
- Enter the amount you are eligible for under the 10% Temporary Wage Subsidy for Employers program for this claim period
- Print and save the information to enter in your future CEWS application
Note: You may be required to provide a full list of your employees and their Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) for verification after you apply. The CRA is not collecting or retaining any of the information you enter on this page or in the spreadsheet. These amounts are only used to help you determine the amount of CEWS you may be eligible to claim.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: