The CRA letters about your rental, business, professional or employment activities
In 2010, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) began yearly letter campaigns to inform selected taxpayers about their tax obligations and to encourage them to correct any inaccuracies in their past income tax and benefit returns.
These educational letters are mailed to individuals each year in selected activity groups where taxpayers are at risk of misunderstanding their tax obligations.
There are two types of educational letters the CRA might send to selected taxpayers: one serves to educate taxpayers about specific claims made on their returns, and the other serves to notify taxpayers that the CRA may conduct an audit in their activity group.
In this, the eight year of the letter campaign, the CRA will be sending approximately 30,000 letters to selected taxpayers in early 2017.
- CRA letter campaign
Understanding the letter; possibility of audit.
- Information about recipients
Information about how recipients were chosen.
- What to do if you receive a letter
Your responsibilities and options.
- Request for adjustment and the Voluntary Disclosure Program
Adjust previously filed tax returns, correct inaccurate or incomplete information; T1-ADJ, RC199.
Forms and publications
- Guide T4002, Business and Professional Income
- Guide T4036, Rental Income
- Guide T4037, Capital Gains
- Guide T4044, Employment Expenses
- Guide RC4110, Employee or Self-Employed?
- Form T1-ADJ, T1 Adjustment Request
- Form T776, Statement of Real Estate Rentals
- Form T777, Statement of Employment Expenses
- Form T2125, Statement of Business or Professional Activities
- Form T2200, Declaration of Conditions of Employment
- Form RC199, Voluntary Disclosures Program (VDP) - Taxpayer Agreement
- Income Tax Folio, S3-F4-C1, General Discussion of Capital Cost Allowance
- Income Tax Folio, S4-F2-C2, Business Use of Home Expenses
- Interpretation Bulletin IT195R, Rental Property - Capital Cost Allowance Restrictions
- Interpretation Bulletin IT352R, Employee's Expenses, Including Work Space in Home Expenses
- Interpretation Bulletin IT364, Commencement of business operations
- Interpretation Bulletin IT518R, Food, Beverages and Entertainment Expenses
- Interpretation Bulletin IT522R, Vehicle, Travel and Sales Expenses of Employees
- Information Circular IC00-1R5, Voluntary Disclosures Program
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: