Foreign currency reporting

Complete all T5008 slips in Canadian currency. Use the exchange rate that was in effect at the time of the transaction or an average rate that includes the transaction period.

Foreign currency is usually converted to Canadian funds before it is credited to the recipient's account. However, certain taxpayers keep foreign currency accounts and choose to convert their account balances themselves. If you get proceeds of disposition in a foreign currency and deposit the amounts to your client's foreign currency account without converting them to Canadian funds, you can report in the foreign currency that applies. Identify foreign currency amounts by entering in box 13 the applicable currency code under international standard ISO 4217.

To get detailed instructions, click on box 13 below:

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: