Refunding instalment payments

We will not refund instalment payments until we have assessed the T2 return for the year in question. We will refund any overpayment [subsection 164(1) of the Income Tax Act], provided there is no debt or missing return on your account or any of your related business number accounts.


You must file a return no later than three years after the end of a tax year to get a tax refund.

We will consider refunding a payment posted as an instalment payment that was intended for a third party.

We may refund all, or part, of the instalment payment(s) paid if you give us information showing that the payment of instalments has caused, or will cause, undue hardship [subsection 164(1.52)]. You will need to support your request by providing a description of your circumstances.

You can request a refund by using the "Enquiries service" at:

We do not pay refund interest on this type of refund.

Direct deposit

Direct deposit is a fast, convenient, and secure way to get your CRA payments directly into your account at a financial institution in Canada.

For more information and ways to enrol, go to Direct deposit or contact your financial institution.

If we cannot deposit a refund into a designated account, we will mail a cheque to you at the address we have on file.

Expecting a large refund

If you are expecting a refund over $25 million, you need to be registered for direct deposit and the Large Value Transfer System. Contact your tax centre to register. We will then issue the refund electronically.

Forms and publications

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: