Housing loss

If you pay or reimburse your employee for a housing loss, the amount is a taxable benefit for the employee.

However, there is an exception for amounts paid for an eligible housing loss. Generally, in these situations, only half of the amount that is more than $15,000 is taxable.


If you spread the payment over two years, you will need to include an amount on your employee's T4 slip for each year.

See Examples – Housing loss to determine how to calculate the taxable benefit.

Payroll deductions

If the benefit is taxable, it is also pensionable. Deduct CPP contributions and income tax. If the taxable benefit is paid in cash, it is insurable. Deduct EI premiums. If it is a non-cash benefit, it is not insurable. Do not deduct EI premiums.

Reporting the benefit

Report the taxable benefit in box 14 "Employment income" and in the "Other information" area under code 40 at the bottom of the T4 slip. For more information, see T4 – Information for employers.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: