What should you do if your business goes through a restructure or reorganization, or amalgamates?

When a change happens, a new (successor) employer is created. A successor employer who has acquired all or part of a business, and who has immediately succeeded the former (predecessor) employer as the new employer of an employee, may, under certain circumstances, take into consideration the CPP/QPP, EI, and PPIP deductions already withheld by the previous employer and continue withholding and remitting those deductions as if there were no change in employer. If employees have already paid the maximum deductions, take no further deductions for the year.

If the situation just described does not apply, you must continue to deduct CPP/QPP, EI, and PPIP. You cannot take into consideration any deductions taken by the previous employer. Similar to when a business stops operating or the partner or proprietor dies, the predecessor company has to do all of the following:

  • send their final remittances to the CRA
  • calculate any pension adjustment
  • fill out and file all slips and summaries
  • give employees their copies of T4 or T4A slips
  • issue a record of employment to their employees
  • deregister their business number
  • close all program accounts

For more information, go to Employer restructuring / Succession of employers.

If your business amalgamates

If your business amalgamates with another, special rules apply. In this case, you, as the successor employer, can keep the business number (BN) of one of the corporations, or you can apply for a new one. If one of the corporations is non-resident, however, you have to apply for a new BN.

Since no new employer exists for CPP and EI purposes, continue deducting normally, taking into account the deductions and remittances that occurred before the amalgamation. These remittances will be reported under the payroll program account of the successor BN.

If you had previously been granted a reduced employer's EI premium rate, you will need to contact Employment and Social Development Canada to make sure you are still eligible for the reduced rate.

With an amalgamation, the predecessor corporations do not have to file T4 returns for the period leading up to the amalgamation. The successor corporation files the T4 returns for the entire year.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: