Report a nil remittance

You need to tell the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) if you have no source deductions to remit for a month or quarter. This can happen, for example, if you have no employees because you have a seasonal business. Do not report a nil remittance if you made source deductions in the month or quarter.

If you have changed your business status, you need to tell the CRA. Do this using My Business Account or Represent a Client, by letter, or by calling 1-800-959-5525.

When to report a nil remittance

Report a nil remittance by your due date, or as soon as you know you do not need to make source deductions for the month or quarter.

Tell the CRA when you will next make source deductions. If you do not know, give an estimated date. If you do not give a date, the CRA will expect you to resume remitting again for the next month or quarter.


Sarah has a seasonal business and is a regular remitter. In October she did not make any source deductions, as she did not pay any employees. She calls TeleReply by November 15 to report her nil remittance for October. If Sarah does not give a specific date when she will resume remitting again, the CRA will expect her to remit source deductions for November by December 15.

How to report a nil remittance

You can report a nil remittance:

Report a nil remittance online

To report a nil remittance online, use My Business Account or Represent a Client.

Report a nil remittance using TeleReply

TeleReply is an automated telephone service for reporting nil remittances. To use it, call 1-800-959-2256. If you use TeleReply, you do not need to send a paper remittance voucher, and you will receive an immediate confirmation.

If you are a client of the Workers' Compensation Board (WCB) of Nova Scotia, you can also use TeleReply to tell the Board that you have no WCB remittance to make.

For information on TeleReply for non-resident accounts, see Non-Resident TeleReply.

You cannot use TeleReply if:

If you cannot use TeleReply, see reporting a nil remittance online or by mail.

Before you call TeleReply

Have the following information available before you call TeleReply:

  • your payroll program (RP) account number;
  • the reason you are reporting a nil remittance; and
  • the date when you expect to next make source deductions.

For best results, and to ensure your privacy, do not use a cordless or cellular telephone or one with the keypad in the handset. If at any time during the call, the automated system says you cannot use TeleReply, you will need to report your nil remittance online or by mail.

Hours of operation

You can use TeleReply every day from 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 a.m. Eastern time.

How to use TeleReply

To use TeleReply, simply call 1-800-959-2256, and follow the instructions. At the end of the call, you will need to confirm the information you entered, and wait for a confirmation number.

To report a nil remittance with TeleReply, you can:

Tips for using TeleReply

Here are a few tips for using this service:

  • Press the star button (*) to repeat a message.
  • Press the number sign (#) when you are finished entering information.
  • You do not need to enter the letters "RP" from your account number.
  • Enter dates in the following format: 4 digits for the year, 2 digits for the month, and 2 digits for the day.
  • Write down your TeleReply confirmation number.
  • If you hang up before receiving a confirmation number or the system does not give you one, you will have to call TeleReply again or use a different method to report a nil remittance.

What if I made a mistake while using TeleReply?

If you made a mistake while using TeleReply and you have not yet received a confirmation number, you can hang up and call TeleReply again, or use another method.

If you made a mistake while using TeleReply and have received a confirmation number, you cannot fix it using TeleReply. You need to contact the CRA using My Business Account or Represent a Client, or send a request to your tax centre.

After you use TeleReply

Keep your TeleReply confirmation number for your records, along with any documents supporting your nil remittance.

Report a nil remittance by mail

You can report a nil remittance by mail. If you are a regular or quarterly remitter, fill out the appropriate section of your Form PD7A, Statement of account for current source deductions, and send it to the Ottawa Technology Centre. You can also write a letter.

If you are sending a letter, include:

  • your name, position, and telephone number;
  • the payroll program (RP) account number you are reporting for;
  • the legal name and address of the business;
  • the reason you are reporting a nil remittance; and
  • when you next expect to make source deductions or the date you changed your business status, if applicable.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: